Printer--ultra portable?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 7:59:19 PM

I have an IBM x40 thinkpad. I'm thinking that when traveling it would
be very nice to have a small, lightweight printer to take along. And
it wouldn't necessarily have to be color either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Mahl

More about : printer ultra portable

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 7:59:20 PM

Mahlon Wagner wrote:
> I have an IBM x40 thinkpad. I'm thinking that when traveling it
would
> be very nice to have a small, lightweight printer to take along.
And
> it wouldn't necessarily have to be color either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Funny you should mention that, just after I managed to make my 5
1/2-year-old Canon BJC-50 mobile again, with a new battery and an old
(Windows 98/ME) driver enabling it to print wirelessly via infrared
once more.

Seriously, ask yourself whether you'd print away from home enough to
justify the minimum $250 you'd probably have to spend for any
portable/mobile printer really worth buying.

And now that we've got that out of the way-you DID answer yes, didn't
you?-if I were going to buy a printer to use on the run, I'd go whole
hog and get a truly mobile one-that is, one that includes a rechargable
battery. That's why I'd shy away from the Canon i80, because the
battery is not only an extra-cost option in and of itself, but requires
additional hardware to work with the printer. Oh yeah, Bluetooth is
also extra on an i80.

One I'd look more closely at is the HP Deskjet 450wbt. HP sells the
basic 450 without the battery and Bluetooth as well, but they come with
the 450wbt as a package. I've seen it online for about $330. With
inflation, that's cheaper than my BJC-50 was back in '99.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 9:48:57 PM

Mahlon Wagner <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> I have an IBM x40 thinkpad. I'm thinking that when traveling it would
> be very nice to have a small, lightweight printer to take along. And
> it wouldn't necessarily have to be color either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Use the fax machine in your hotel, or walk to the nearest copying shop
(newsagent, whatever).

Peter
!