New CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moro_37

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my cpu as m e6400 isnt cutting it anymore and i dont know what im doing with regards to overclocking. I use my computer for gaming mostly (bfbc2,COD, racing games) aside from that just basic web surfing watching videos.
My current set up is:
Windows XP 32 bit
MSI P965 Platinum Mobo
E6400 @ 2.13 GHz
2 GB DDR2 Dual Channl
ati 4890 HD 1 GB
X-FI Titanium sound
The reason I want to upgrade is Black Ops requires a stronger cpu (e6600 it says) and keeps locking my cpu up at 100% but I dont have the money to buy a new mobo for the new generation of processors
Any advice is greatly appreciated and o dont want to spend more than 250
on the cpu

Solution
Here's a link to the MSI page for CPU support for your motherboard.

From the MSI cpu support page, it appears that the E7500 is not supported at all; however, it does appear that the Q8200 is supported, but only the Q8200 and no other Q8xxx cpus.

In addition to the BIOS version, you may want to track down the pcb version of your particluar motherboard, as well as be aware of the stepping revision of the cpu you are interested in. The cpu's listed on the MSI website are for pcb version 1.1. If you have version 1.0, then you may need to reach out to MSI for a list of specific cpus compatible with version 1.0. The pcb version may not make a difference with the cpu support, but no harm in reaching out to MSI if you have version...

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
ok...
firstly can you get more info on your motherboard ( i just want to know what bios version you have)
you can find this out by running 'cpuz'

EDIT: also WHERE would you like to buy it from? newegg, amazon, ebay, etc.

Moro_37

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
ummm not sure where it says exactly... beside version it says 080014, I havent flashed it but will do what i have to... and im willing to buy online... actually I'm looking at an e7500 for 130 at my local computer store, they dont stock the core 2's aside from that anymore and only have the q8000 series of core 2 quads, ive been reading that the dual cores are better for gaming then the quads? not sure if thats right but its what im getting the understanding of so would the e7500 be a good choice??

Here's a link to the MSI page for CPU support for your motherboard.

From the MSI cpu support page, it appears that the E7500 is not supported at all; however, it does appear that the Q8200 is supported, but only the Q8200 and no other Q8xxx cpus.

In addition to the BIOS version, you may want to track down the pcb version of your particluar motherboard, as well as be aware of the stepping revision of the cpu you are interested in. The cpu's listed on the MSI website are for pcb version 1.1. If you have version 1.0, then you may need to reach out to MSI for a list of specific cpus compatible with version 1.0. The pcb version may not make a difference with the cpu support, but no harm in reaching out to MSI if you have version 1.0; if anything to be sure before making a purchase. If you have pcb version 1.1, then at most it looks like you will need to update the BIOS to install a different cpu. Just one thing to remember, update your BIOS to the latest version BEFORE installing the new cpu. Regarding the stepping version of the cpu, if you check out the MSI cpu support page, for example, it shows that there is support with BIOS version 1.8 for the Wolfdale E8500 C0 stepping but no support for the Wolfdale E8500 E0 stepping.

Aside from a local store, and given that is an older motherboard, the majority of online retailers have fazed out most of their Skt775 processor stock, so if you wanted a QX9650 for example, you may have to shop on eBay or pick up a cpu on the used market. If you do buy online, you just may have to be selective with what online retailer you purchase from.

The Q9550 can be bought online from Newegg, and would be a real nice upgrade from the E6400; but it does cost $275.00.

Lastly, if you list a few cpu's you are interested and the amount you are willing to spend, I'm sure the kind folks at Tom's can make a recommendation.

Solution

Moro_37

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
o wow thx for letting me know that would have been a bad mistake.... i thot that since my board was compatible with core 2's and the e7500 is one and lga 775 that i would be fine, guess not haha.... well like i said before i was hoping around 250 and pretty much w/e my system support can support..... if this rly is a dead end i just want to know if a core i3 550 would perform the same or better then one of the old core 2's at that clock? or is L3 cache completely different from L2??? and would this plus a decent mobo be a better decision altho more expesnive (still want to be able to game, FPS, racers, etc)... the website/local store i deal with the most is canadacomputers.com and also want to make sure... can ddr2 go into a ddr3 socket or are the pins actually different meaning i would need new ram?

here are the motherboards: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26_583&page=1&sort=3d

here are the cpu's: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=4_65
if anyone has suggestions all are appreciated and thank you to the replies

Just saw an intel E8400 3 GHz on newegg for $185 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
on MSI website it says its compatible would this be a solid choice??

The pcb version should be written on the motherboard typically near the southbridge chip, near the BIOS chip, or most likely at the bottom corner (opposite end of the cpu) close to the edge of the board near the orange PCI slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.