Feb 13, 2010
Hi
Just Wondering about my CPU temps.
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 970@3.50GHZ
Stock Cooler
My Temps are:
36-40C Idle
50-54C After 45mins on FSX
60-65 under heavy multitasking:Video Editing, Video Converting, Internet, Fraps and HWMonitor All at same time.
Is this Good, Bad or OK?

Well, the cooler isn't the greatest but those temps seem a little high to me. You should be idling around 30-35 and prolly 45 load and 50C max. You really shouldn't be running that CPU above 60C, I'd stop doing that ASAP.

If you are certain you've seated the heatsink properly and if using your own thermal grease and confidant that is not an issue, I would start looking at other system temps. I would take a hard look at case cooling as well.

Dokioto

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Your GPU is fine, but if your hitting 65 with no overclock i would recommend a new cooler.
I find the stock AMD cooler to be great with the right thermal paste (but if your case doesn't have good air flow then its a bit of a tight spot)

Hey Luke,
The video card looks good so it is getting air flow. The CPU is basically already overclocked from a X4 955. I would expect it to run a bit hotter, but I would also expect AMD to have a better cooler for it.
Regardless, if you feel everything is in working order and you have good case airflow then I do recommend before loading your machine further you should look at an aftermarket cooler. I should caution you that it is easy to overlook something and install a heat sink incorrectly and often people use too much thermal material which can cause overheating. I would first remove your heat sink and ensure you are seated correctly and have an even, thin layer of TIM across the CPU heatspreader.

The cheapest cooler I can recommend is the Arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2 for AM3 @ $20. However for $10 more you can get a vastly superior Coolermaster Hyper 212 +.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

This would definitely give you headroom for an overclock if you so desire.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
ive been looking at the Coolermaster Hyper 212. Somehow, i also think it might be a case issue, as i have a Case that came with a stock Compaq CQ5222 PC. That only has one 92mm led fan.

Ok now were getn somewhere. Is the 92mm fan an intake? Where is it located? Are there other locations for adding fans? Its an LED fan, is it a side panel fan?
I can tell you right now your case has terrible ventilation. I am not surprised one bit about your CPU temps.
You've got a powerful quad core gaming CPU running at 3.5Ghz. You are going to need adequate airflow for this beast.

Please let me know about the stuff I asked above and I can help correct your situation. :)

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ive had an idea. My PC came with a 17CFM 92mm Rear fan. I replaced that with a 45CFM Led Exaust fan at the rear. There is some meshing on the side of my case, i was going to put my led fan there as intake, and my stock fan as exaust. Is that a good idea?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Ahahaha trust me parents don't let go when you turn 18!! Personal experience... :pfff: Turned 18 couple months ago...

Now I would advice that you do it when your dad is not home, and just don't tell him about it, but that is probably against forum rules in one way or another, so hereby I am not telling you that you should do it when you dad is not home and then not tell him about it! :sarcastic:

Happy new year!!

Cheerz! :sol: