Old CPU Bottleneck?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Bottleneck
Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2010 11:41:20 AM

Hello,
In my current rig I have 2GB of RAM (335MHz), an MSI Cyclone 460GTX 1GB, and a Pentium E 2160. Since I bought the GPU, I have not had the performance increase that I expected from this upgrade (Previous card was 8600GT). I was wondering if the CPU and memory are a serious bottleneck to the card's performance?
I had been considering upgrading to a i5 760 and 4GB of decent RAM, but what sort of performance increase will I get? 20%? 40%? even double the framerate?

More about : cpu bottleneck

a b à CPUs
December 30, 2010 11:52:03 AM

I would expect it to double, yes....

whatever framerate you are getting, if you decrease your resolution and quality settings, and the framerate does not increase, you are cpu/mem bottlenecked. If getting roughly 30 fps ('playable', you can increase your resolution/AA/AF quality settings to the max your monitor can handle, up to 1080P, and likely see the same framerates...if capped at 25-30 fps, it may as well be looking pretty!
December 30, 2010 11:57:56 AM

mdd1963 said:
I would expect it to double, yes....

whatever framerate you are getting, if you decrease your resolution and quality settings, and the framerate does not increase, you are cpu/mem bottlenecked. If getting roughly 30 fps ('playable', you can increase your resolution/AA/AF quality settings to the max your monitor can handle, up to 1080P, and likely see the same framerates...if capped at 25-30 fps, it may as well be looking pretty!

Yeah, I get more or less the same frame rate (Between 15-25) on Bad Company 2 regardless of the quality or resolution settings (Multiplayer is essentially unplayable, combined with my 200+ ping) . Similar with Splinter Cell Conviction, Mass Effect 2 and a few other games. But, wierdly enough, on some games, such as UT III, I get 60 fps constantly on max settings. Weird.

Thanks for the advice.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2010 12:14:25 PM

You are also short on memory for newest games, but, I'd try to refrain from spending any more money on a 4-5 yr old system....

You can take your GTX460, optical drives, and hard drive with you to new build.

A quad core at 3.06 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, I'd expect the new framerates to be at 55-60 fps, at higher settings...

Pings are another story entirely, but usually related to your ISP/speed, and, number of hops to get to the server....
December 30, 2010 1:32:08 PM

mdd1963 said:
You are also short on memory for newest games, but, I'd try to refrain from spending any more money on a 4-5 yr old system....

You can take your GTX460, optical drives, and hard drive with you to new build.

A quad core at 3.06 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, I'd expect the new framerates to be at 55-60 fps, at higher settings...

Pings are another story entirely, but usually related to your ISP/speed, and, number of hops to get to the server....

Hey. I would have to buy new Motherboard/Memory/CPU anyway, so I am planning to just integrate them into my current system (My drives are fine, and my power supply will be suitable for any Core i5/i7 build).

I am going to wait for Sandy Bridge now, as presumably core i5 prices will drop, and I'll get some DDR3 too.

As for my ISP, they are truly useless and I shall be leaving them soon. So a better ISP should solve my connection problems.

Thanks again.
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2010 1:45:23 PM

What do you have for a motherboard? Your chip overclocks pretty well, a moderate overclock will work wonders for your FPS issue. I ran games fine on 2gb, I know that's pushing the requirements in some games, but the slow clock speed and being a dual core is the main problem. Try overclocking to around 2.6-2.8 if all possible or higher.
December 31, 2010 2:17:55 PM

sportsfanboy said:
What do you have for a motherboard? Your chip overclocks pretty well, a moderate overclock will work wonders for your FPS issue. I ran games fine on 2gb, I know that's pushing the requirements in some games, but the slow clock speed and being a dual core is the main problem. Try overclocking to around 2.6-2.8 if all possible or higher.

my motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-945-GZM-S2, which, as far as I know, pretty appalling for overclocking, but I could be wrong.
December 31, 2010 2:49:21 PM

If you can afford do what you suggested wait for sandy bridge, buy a new motherboard, CPU and computer case if the old one has no case fans or really poor ventilation, take the video card, optical drive, hard drive if it is on sata2 and if the PSU can support all these new hardware, that one too.

If not overclock.
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 4:12:49 PM

It might not be a great overclocker, but I'm certain you can squeeze some juice out of it.
!