.BAT files not running or recognized correctly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I look after a few machines at work, and one of them has got a problem with
..bat files.

If I try to run one, it asks which program I want to use, and also doesn't
offer the Edit option when right-clicking on a .bat file.

If I rename it with a .cmd extension it behaves correctly!

I have checked that the PATEXT environment variable correctly lists .BAT
along with all the other extensions. I have also looked in the registry and
can find no obvious corruptions, and the machine seems to perform correctly
in every other respect.

Can anyone suggest anywhere else I might look to find what has gone wrong?

Thanks,

Tony
3 answers Last reply
More about files running recognized correctly
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    From a command prompt;
    assoc .bat
    should return with
    ..bat=batfile
    If not
    assoc .bat=batfile
    to restore the default file type association.

    ftype batfile
    should return with
    batfile="%1" %*
    If not
    ftype batfile="%1" %*
    to restore the default "Open" action for the file type.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "TonyNunan" wrote:
    |I look after a few machines at work, and one of them has got a problem with
    | .bat files.
    |
    | If I try to run one, it asks which program I want to use, and also doesn't
    | offer the Edit option when right-clicking on a .bat file.
    |
    | If I rename it with a .cmd extension it behaves correctly!
    |
    | I have checked that the PATEXT environment variable correctly lists .BAT
    | along with all the other extensions. I have also looked in the registry
    and
    | can find no obvious corruptions, and the machine seems to perform
    correctly
    | in every other respect.
    |
    | Can anyone suggest anywhere else I might look to find what has gone wrong?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Tony
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thank you for your reply.

    As soon as the Laptop in question comes back into the State I will try them
    out!

    Tony

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > From a command prompt;
    > assoc .bat
    > should return with
    > ..bat=batfile
    > If not
    > assoc .bat=batfile
    > to restore the default file type association.
    >
    > ftype batfile
    > should return with
    > batfile="%1" %*
    > If not
    > ftype batfile="%1" %*
    > to restore the default "Open" action for the file type.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "TonyNunan" wrote:
    > |I look after a few machines at work, and one of them has got a problem with
    > | .bat files.
    > |
    > | If I try to run one, it asks which program I want to use, and also doesn't
    > | offer the Edit option when right-clicking on a .bat file.
    > |
    > | If I rename it with a .cmd extension it behaves correctly!
    > |
    > | I have checked that the PATEXT environment variable correctly lists .BAT
    > | along with all the other extensions. I have also looked in the registry
    > and
    > | can find no obvious corruptions, and the machine seems to perform
    > correctly
    > | in every other respect.
    > |
    > | Can anyone suggest anywhere else I might look to find what has gone wrong?
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Tony
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "TonyNunan" wrote:
    | Thank you for your reply.
    |
    | As soon as the Laptop in question comes back into the State I will try
    them
    | out!
    |
    | Tony
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Extension Windows XP