Fastest and easiest way to..

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
hello, i have just received my new i5 system.

MSI - P67A-GR53(B3)
intel i5-2300 @ 2.80ghz
8gb DDR3 RipjawX

What is the fastest and easiest way to install the mobo without loosing all my save games/game installs and what not?
I know you need a fresh install of windows when installing a new mobo, cause of the drivers and what not. But i dont want to have to sit through X amount of hours waiting for stuff to back up, then another X amount of hours waiting for it to copy back, Is there a way to just Cut/paste my programs folder/my docs folder to an exturnal, format c: drive with a new windows 7 installation then copy every thing back?

ulysses35

Distinguished
What mobo are you replacing ? some people have used there existing installation of windows on a new motherboard.

It would largely dependon the old hardware, but you could try using your HDD without installing windowsd again - this is not guaranteed to work asthere are many variables in chipsets etc that could cause you more problems and time than doing a backup in the first place

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
im upgrading for an asus P5KPL/1600.

and no i dont think i could get away with it. if the chips and stuff were very similar then maybe.. asus to msi..i dont think so. sadly.