Sign in with
Your question

Can we upgrade p3 processor with same mother board

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2010 2:50:56 AM

Hello,
I HAVE P3 GATEWAY 550 / 80 GB / 384 MB RAM SD PC 100 NON ECC CL2 UNBUFFERED 3.3 V ON XP PROFESSIONAL OS

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I CAN UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR TO MAXIMUM AVAILABLE ON P3 OR ? ANY OTHER CELERON OR P4

HOW DO I FIND MORE INFO?

PRAKASH PAULPRAKASHBANGALORE@YAHOO.COM
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2010 2:59:13 AM

Sorry, can't find out what cpus your BIOS supports. Unlike HP, Gateway apparently doesn't include that in system specs.

Gateway might tell you.

Your BIOS would certainly support any cpus that were offered when the 550 was first sold. Maybe you can google/find that literature.
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
a c 1098 V Motherboard
October 3, 2010 3:02:40 AM

There is no reason to yell at us. You can upgrade to another P3. It just has to be in the same family as yours for socket 370. Not all socket 370 boards support the Tualitin core which was the last P3.
Related resources
October 3, 2010 3:51:48 AM

You could upgrade that P3, but definitely cannot upgrade to a P4. Different socket. If you look at www.froogle.com and type in pentium III processor you'll get some hits. But double check what board you have and make sure its supports. Best of luck, its hard to find that kind of info on a machine that old.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2010 6:53:11 AM

sp12 said:
I would move to a very cheap Atom/Sargas core with an integrated GPU/2GB of ram for ~150$ overall. Would have many times any P3's performance.

For that matter, you could get a modern Pentium dual-core and motherboard with integrated graphics for $99, and have enough left over for 2GB of RAM (DDR2-800). That would also beat the dogshit out of anything a P3 could do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To the OP: Basically, Pentium III is a dead end, and this is the point where you have to let it go.
!