andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi,i am looking to upgrade my pc,but i dont have enough money to upgrade it all. My current spec is AMD 9950 Phenom BE 2.6Ghz oc to 3Ghz with 2 1gig 4870`s in CF,8gig of DDR2 OCZ 1066 Ram on a Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe MB. Now i was looking at upgrading just the MB,GPU and CPU,i was looking at a AMD Phenom II X4 980 @3.7Ghz,a Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard
A His ATI 6950 IceQx Turbo GPU. I was also looking at some G Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 Mhz memory,but the memory i have is fine,its never missed a beat,so i was wondering,if i was to buy the new memory,would i really notice the difference in games,i am looking at saving just over a £100 if i dont buy it,making the upgrade that bit cheaper.Any feed back would be much appriciated. Thanks.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Ok,thank you very much guys,i really do appriciate the feed back,i did not even give that a thought tbh,completley slipped my mind.Ok,with a bios update i can run a AM3 CPU on the current MB i have,if i were to upgrade just the CPU and GPU,would it be worth it against my current build.
Cheers.

Well the RAM you were looking at buying is about a 60% performance increase over the old RAM. That and AM3 CPU's are designed to utilize the higher bandwidth of the RAM. So you will definitely be running into a memory bottleneck, especially with a high end CPU and GPU combo.

That said, you can certainly get just the 2 for now, and once you can afford it get the MB / RAM

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks for the quick response,and thanks for the advice,think i may hold out until i can buy it all together,sounds like i will not get the performance gaines from just upgrading the odd one or two components.
Thanks again,youve really helped me out
Cheers