Update: First Build Ever Ultra Budget Gaming

trybalados

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hi! Thank you to everyone who helped pick parts for my first build at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/295972-31-first-build-ever-ultra-budget-gaming

The computer is built! I visited a MicroCenter and actually got two different parts from the final build:
Asus M4A88TD-V MOBO
AMD Phenom x2 555BE

There was a CPU/MOBO deal where you get $40 off if you buy any of the two. So the price was the same as the original build, but with a better MOBO, and I would say a better CPU because I luckily have four cores =)

A COUPLE OF QUESTION:

WEI:
7.4 CPU
7.5 RAM
7.4 Graphics
7.4 Gaming Graphics
5.9 Primary HDD

Base score: 5.9
Is this score normal for SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB? It's detected as IDE, so I tried to switch that to AHCI using:
http://www.tweakwin7.com/articles/44119/improve-sata-hard-disk-performance-convert-from-ide-to-ahci/
Didn't work. I got the same score.
As for the other scores, I don't know what average scores look like so it's somewhat meaningless to me. Are those numbers decent for what I bought?

Also for OCing: There are so many programs that automatically OCs my computer. Is tweaking from BIOS instead the best option? Also, say the GPU has its own OCing software. Should I use that, use software from my MOBO, or again use the BIOS? Not so sure where to start.

Again thanks for everything. So many question...answering one would be enough =)

Solution
WEI is pointless, fluctuates so much that it really doesn't matter. Mechanical drives are capped at 5.9 though, so thats normal.

since its a BE, simply raise the Multi in the BIOS. Software CPU OC isn't suggested as your headroom is severely capped and stability is a big issue.

For the GPU, get Afterburner/Precision/Rivatuner. You cant OC it from the BIOS AFAIK. Theoretically you can flash the BIOS of the card itself, but hats much riskier and the software options are just as good.

Timop

Distinguished
WEI is pointless, fluctuates so much that it really doesn't matter. Mechanical drives are capped at 5.9 though, so thats normal.

since its a BE, simply raise the Multi in the BIOS. Software CPU OC isn't suggested as your headroom is severely capped and stability is a big issue.

For the GPU, get Afterburner/Precision/Rivatuner. You cant OC it from the BIOS AFAIK. Theoretically you can flash the BIOS of the card itself, but hats much riskier and the software options are just as good.

Solution