Sign in with
Your question

New SDD installation with prior HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2013 8:35:07 PM

Hi,

I bought the Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD for my desktop today, I currently have:

Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID
12 Gigs of RAM DDR3
HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 (overclocked to 3801.1 Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForgce GTX 560

Anyhow, what is the proper way to set this up, I want the SSD to have Win 7 Pro 64 bit on it and also the game/games I am currently playing. Than I have 2 options, I can either make a RAID 1 with the two 500GB HDD or keep a RAID 0 aafter I format them. So, should I first unplug my HDD's and install a new copy of Win 7 on the SDD and than reconnect my Hard Drives and in Windows format them? Or should I format them when I am installing a fresh copy of windows on the SSD? Also, as far as the raid, to change it from Raid 0 to Raid 1 (for redundancy) how do I go about doing that, do I have to change jumpers or is it all software in BIOS?

Thanks
January 11, 2013 11:33:25 PM

Definitely unplug the RAID drives before you install Windows on the SSD. Windows sometimes messes up the drive letters if you have other discs plugged in that it thinks is a higher priority and you don't want your OS on something like D: or E: drive.

As for the two 500GB drives, I personally would leave them as individual storage drives not in RAID. I'm assuming that you are using onboard RAID, and while you may not have had a problem so far, onboard RAID is not really that reliable. A 120GB SSD should be plenty for all your programs, so you will probably only use those drives for data. In that case, definitely don't do a RAID 0 since the risk of losing the data is probably not worth the better performance. A RAID 1 would work as it gives you redundancy, but then you only get access to 500GB of the 1TB total.

For changing the RAID modes, you have to delete and recreate the RAID array. You can do it by launching the RAID manager during POST, but the easier way since this is a non-OS RAID is to do it after you have Windows installed through the RAID software.
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:53:41 PM

Matt,

Should I my BIOS Storage Configuration to be be in IDE, RAID, or AHCI??? It was in RAID.. I disconnected the 2 drives and just have the SSD installed and connected, installing Win 7 now from DVD but it's taking a while, says setup is loading...
m
l
!