New HDD defective? I need advice.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Microphone
  • Cable
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2013 8:56:19 PM

I just bought two 2TB Toshiba hard drives. They are both brand new and have been used for less than 24 hours. One constantly makes a very quiet but abnormal noise even if only the power cable is connected, while the other is dead silent and only makes noise when it is actually in use.

Here's a video clip demonstrating the sound with a microphone put next to the HDD. Please note that at around 49-54 seconds a loud series of clicks occurs - this is the microphone's coil cable rubbing across my camera's body.

http://youtu.be/qTAmcUNmM54

Should I return for a different new one? My geeky gut is telling me yes, although it is a PITA and I wish the HDD would just fix itself :ange: 

More about : hdd defective advice

a c 138 G Storage
January 11, 2013 9:01:28 PM

sounds like in shipping the drive got dropped. i would run hp tune and check to see that the firmware the same on both drives before you start the rma. sometimes firmware fixes can fix buggy issues with drives.
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:19:12 PM

Info tab is all identical (except serial numbers), health is all identical, quick scan behavior and results are all identical, temps identical. I will do a thorough scan which will require some time.
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:27:18 PM

It keeps reporting the western digital 500gb caviar blue I have in here at 123C with non stop heat warnings, lol
m
l
!