Sign in with
Your question

Help with the wireless internet.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 28, 2010 10:46:12 PM

I discovered that my neighbour managed to connect his computer to my router and now his using my internet so my bills are getting higher.
I am using 128 bit Encryption key for my WEP and 802.11b+g wireless standard. I thought that 128 bit encryption is secure enough but it is not.
Now I don’t know what to do. The easier way is to switch of the modem when I do not use it but it is not a solution for me.
If I change the encryption key it might help for a while. I would like to know if it is possible to get some software to monitor my wireless connections and to know if someone is connected to my modem when it is on. Someone told me to use a Wireshark or NMAP. I haven’t worked with these programmes so I don’t know if it is possible to detect some intruder who is hooked up to my router.
If not, can someone give me an advice what to do.

More about : wireless internet

Anonymous
July 28, 2010 11:59:42 PM

Use WPA instead of WEP.
July 29, 2010 7:04:10 AM

martin34 said:
I discovered that my neighbour managed to connect his computer to my router and now his using my internet so my bills are getting higher.
I am using 128 bit Encryption key for my WEP and 802.11b+g wireless standard. I thought that 128 bit encryption is secure enough but it is not.
Now I don’t know what to do. The easier way is to switch of the modem when I do not use it but it is not a solution for me.
If I change the encryption key it might help for a while. I would like to know if it is possible to get some software to monitor my wireless connections and to know if someone is connected to my modem when it is on. Someone told me to use a Wireshark or NMAP. I haven’t worked with these programmes so I don’t know if it is possible to detect some intruder who is hooked up to my router.
If not, can someone give me an advice what to do.

[#0005ff]It's illegal but doubtful you'd get anyone to take action. As Grumpy says, change the security level up to WPA but do it quickly. If that neighbour is downloading illegal material, you could be hard pressed to prove it wasn't you.[/#000ff]
Related resources
July 29, 2010 8:09:38 AM

what is the chance that WPA is the safe solution.
July 29, 2010 10:40:28 AM

martin34 said:
what is the chance that WPA is the safe solution.

Every chance. WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Protocol so it was developed for wired systems into which only the invited could connect. That says it all about its security capabilities.

WPA is a dedicated Wireless security protocol but if your adapter can recognise WPA2, that's even higher.

You could go into your router's settings and see if it can show you every machine that's ever connected, then eliminate yours by checking the MAC address of each and block what remains from connecting again. That'll slow him down a bit. :D 

July 29, 2010 5:24:29 PM

I will try to do something with it. By the way is there any software which can monitor who is connected to my router? Probably windows OS does not provide any utility to see who is connected, does it?
July 30, 2010 6:56:11 AM

martin34 said:
I will try to do something with it. By the way is there any software which can monitor who is connected to my router? Probably windows OS does not provide any utility to see who is connected, does it?

I can't think of any but someone may know of a utility. The router settings pages are the key here - keep an eye on them at times of day when you think this chap is using your connection and grab his MAC address. Then you can block him completely.
July 31, 2010 6:11:15 AM

I have Netopia Router so I hope I will be able to block his MAC address.
!