Sign in with
Your question

Help with finding a good yet cheap mobo

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 10:15:53 AM

What I need is a good above avg but not too high mobo to support a phenom II x4 955 cpu and geforce 450 gts.

(no oc wanted, graphic card might be replaced with x2 radeon if I can't enjoy newly released high graphic games without doing so)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok what I am looking for is a good pc to play current games and upcoming games,good for the next 3 years.
(currently have amd athlon 64 64 processor 3000+ 2.01 GHz, served me well through the years.....not anymore though)

So I was thinking about getting an AMD phemon II x4 955
and a graphic card of geforce 450 gts 1g ram. May b replaced with x2 equaling radeon since I can apply 2, though only if that's really necessary.

What I need is a mobo that will fully support the cpu and graphic card without limiting them, in the cheapest price.

I mean, if possible, cause after reading suggestions of builds I am getting the feeling the cpu I chose is too good for any avg board...

I am looking for above avg comp but not the highest since that will become too costy.

I am not looking to oc I don't wanna mess with these things I just want smoothly playable games (I do play online games but not shooting, only mmorpgs,and some action ones like dragonica for example so I don't see a good enough reason to mess around with the oc)

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 2:54:42 PM

And that's guaranteed not to limit the cpu ?
How can I tell whether a certain mobo is too low (or slightly) for my cpu? (I do read in the details which cpu it's suitable for but it only says the name like athlon II or phenom II, never the version).
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 3:01:25 PM

Why would you want a GTS450 though? You cant get SLI on AMD, and the HD5770 offers better performance, less power usage at the same price.

Heres another boards that gives you crossfire at the cost of USB/SATA3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 4:01:29 PM

That's because I not familiar with anything but nvidia geforce, and the SLI thing is new to me , and what is crossfire? sli related?
I didn't mention it but it's important to me to have ddr3.
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 4:06:34 PM

Crossfire is the ATI/AMD equivalent of SLI.
AMD-based chipsets can not do SLI, but can do Crossfire.

On DDR3, both boards support it so no worries.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 10:45:35 PM

Kinda an off topic, but will phenom II 555 ,NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 , and ASUS M4N68T-M AM3( nForce 630a, DDR3 1333, PCI-E, VGA, HDAudio, GBL) work together? this motherboard is really cheap so I think it's not good enough...

or perhaps GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H AM2+, AM3, 880G, DDR3 1666,)
may do much better
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 10:52:19 PM

The first board uses a old bargain Nvidia chipset, so its not the best but it would still work as it supports even 125Ws.

The second board uses DDR2.

Honestly get a 5770 instead, its the same performance as the GTS450OC but consumes less power. Cost the same also.

If you want a bargain Mobo but still want to use a 955 and even OC, here a great one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 11:21:56 PM

I am sorry, I edited before seeing u replied, cause I posted the ddr 2 in a mistake sorry D: I copied the wrong line and posted before checking.

I donno how to oc I get the feeling it will put pressure on my cpu and eventually burn it, I don't like messing with things I don;t understand...

Does the 5770 support direct x 11?

and as for the mobo I think I am going with ASUS M4A88T-M (AM3, 880G, DDR3 1333, VGA ATI HD4250, PCI-E, CrossFireX).

Can I 'crossfir'e with 5770 or lower? or it only works on boards with SLI?

Like it doesn;t matter the card or the board as long as it supports either sli or crossfire it works? though I am not sure mixing is a good idea though ...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 11:38:37 PM

edit: I checked and 5770 costs, if I convert it to us$, 27.43$ more than 450 gts
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 11:38:55 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, I edited before seeing u replied, cause I posted the ddr 2 in a mistake sorry D: I copied the wrong line and posted before checking.

I donno how to oc I get the feeling it will put pressure on my cpu and eventually burn it, I don't like messing with things I don;t understand...

Does the 5770 support direct x 11?

and as for the mobo I think I am going with ASUS M4A88T-M (AM3, 880G, DDR3 1333, VGA ATI HD4250, PCI-E, CrossFireX).

Can I 'crossfir'e with 5770 or lower? or it only works on boards with SLI?

Like it doesn;t matter the card or the board as long as it supports either sli or crossfire it works? though I am not sure mixing is a good idea though ...

The 5770 is also a DX11 card.

Thats not the best Mobo for the money, anyone of the listed above would do the same job for less or add features. Unless youre getting the deal from MC.

On SLI/Crossfire, heres a simple rundown.

SLI is the ability to run 2 more identical Nvidia cards together.
Crossfire is the ability to run 2 or more AMD/ATI cards in the same family (first 2 digits) together.
AMD-based boards (7XX, 8XX) can not support SLI no matter what, some can support Crossfire.
Nvidia-based boards can not support Crossfire no matter what, some can support SLI.

You can run any single card on motherboards from either company and it will work fine.

You do not want to crossfire on a boards that says X16/X4 because it will hinder performance.

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 11:40:42 PM

Quote:
edit: I checked and 5770 costs, if I convert it to us$, 27.43$ more than 450 gts

If you're buying the cheapest GTS450 then look for HD5750s, performs the same but uses less power.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 7:13:15 AM

How can I tell whether a motherboard is good and won't slow down my computer,I don;t want a crappy 1 I want a good 1 with no unneeded features,well basically 1 that wouldn't slow down the system as I said,and what is the chipset?

And thanks a lot for the help and patience!!
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 10:52:09 PM

No Mobo will slow down your system. As long as it is fully compatible, you will not lose any performance with a $50 and a $300 one. The main difference is quality and stability.

The chipset is the "CPU" that runs the Mobo, and it controls the PCIe, SATA, and everything else that links the various components together.
!