I7 Pricing Question Regarding Sandy Bridge

celtics999

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I am looking into building a computer and I currently have the i5 760 in my shopping cart. I was considering i7 but it is out of my price range. Will the price of the i7 drop after Sandy Bridge? And how much will it drop?

Thank you!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
mobo's don't usually drop as fast as processors when they develop a new socket/chip, as the lower prices move the now replaced cpu's and peopel need a place to put em, but as i said you are lookign at a mid grade build so i'd say the i5 should drop a good bit, maybe a small drop in mobo price, but not much of one. I'd suggest waiting till you see how sandy bridge -NB preforms and pricing of mobo's before buyign anything.. its only a little over a week away :D and 32nm quad cores... yes please :D

Intel processors don't do much dropping in price.

Cpu's like the Q6600, i7-920, etc. may go down like $10, and then they actually start going up.

Prices are going to be dependent on performance, so if they release a SB that's slower than the i7-950, then the i7-950 is not going to drop in price. That was just an example by the way.

The 6 core i7's will still hold the performance crown over Sandy Bridge until late next year.