Windows 7 Won't Boot After RAM upgrade

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Having a bit of problems installing new memory, here's some system specs to start off with

OEM: Gateway 530fx

PSU: 700watt

Processor : x6800 intel 2 core extreme @ 2.9ghz dual core

Motherboard: 975x viiv (big arm) motherboard (LGA755)Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 4
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

memory : 2xPNY 4gb (2x2gb) ddr2 pc2-6400 operating at 800mhz dual channel kit

Stuff i've done:

when i first tried to install i went into the bios and saw that all the memory was detected by the bios, and running in 800mhz 1.8v, when i booted up again, it goes past the bios screen and windows attempts to boot, it brings up the prompt "Starting Windows" Then immediately shuts down and restarts the booting process over and over.

The ram i have is dual channel so i cannot run 3 sticks, either 2 or 4 in a given channel. I tested both sets of ram in both channels (4gb) and it boots up just fine. But when i try to use the other channel i get this looping restart at the windows boot screen, I know my motherboard can handle 8gb of ram, this is verified from the motherboards specifications sheet as well as the crucial memory tool on their site.

I'm completely stumped, if anyone can give me some clues as to what's wrong i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again:)

PS: I should also mention that i cannot get into safe mode, it reboots, I cant run the windows 7 boot from dvd, it hangs at "Windows is loading files" And I cannot run any repair of any kind, due to it just hanging at "Windows is loading files". Also whenever i revert back down to 4gb, i get a message on the next boot before the windows boot starts "The firmware has detected that the system memory has been decreased." Which leads me to believe it's some kinda windows conflict, which is odd cause the ram says it's compatible with windows 7

Solution
Typical PC2-5300 is 5-5-5-15 @ 1.80v, IMO replace the RAM with PC2 5300.

It's still a good idea to flash the BIOS, CPU-z shows both the MOBO & BIOS under the Mainboard tab. Hopefully the replacement MOBO supports your CPU, if the CPUID info is missing then you'll have all sorts of unending issues including a 'dummied-down' CPU.

last post for the day.

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, that's how mine is set up, It's accually color coded, channel "A" is 1+3, channel "B" is 2+4. channel A is white, Channel B is black. I have 2 sets of PNY 4gb (2x2 gb) in all 4 slots, Basically i bought the same brand and the same item twice. resulting in 4 sticks of the exact same memory

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
it's worth a shot, I did some digging as well, while i didnt find my exact problem, there are some that are close, I tried a few solutions in windows, messing with the boot manager, didnt work, ended up accually limiting my system more than helping it. I'll try the bios reset. And report back with results.

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Just noticed that i havent updated windows 7 at all since i did my install of it. praying to god there's something in there that'll solve this problem. Will update.

I don't know where you got your specs, but see -> http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2663

There are a bunch of 'FX530' models, but the few I looked at seem to have the same memory specs.

Memory Support
Note: The motherboard does not support memory higher than 667 MHz.
Four memory slots support the following:
DDR2 667/533 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
8 GB total memory capacity
Supports modules sizes of 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB

Please provide links to the sets of RAM you have installed or are attempting to install. Typically the RAM runs at the SLOWEST supported speed per the MOBO/BIOS and not the 'Rated Frequency'; meaning if 533 MHz is the supported 'speed' then 667MHz RAM gets down-clocked to 533MHz.

Worst if you're mix-matching the OEM DDR2 667 MHz (PC2-5300) 2GB (2x1GB) with 800 MHz (PC2-6400) then obviously you're mixing Frequency, worst is mixing Voltages.

To start, use whatever RAM you can boot with, in the BIOS 'if possible' set the DRAM Frequency -> 533 MHz. If not see if there's a DRAM Voltage -> set it according the 'PNY'.

Otherwise, do all of the DIMM slots work? If one works and the other doesn't chance are you have a bad or dirty DIMM Slot(s).
Test1
CPU | Set 1 | blank | Set 1 | blank |
Test2
CPU | blank | Set 1 | blank | Set 1 |

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Here is the ram i'm trying to install. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4664184&CatId=3412

I bought this ram cause it does operate at the 667 mhz, I fired it up with channel A using one kit, and had the MB bios set to automatic, It runs at 800mhz, when i insert the second kit into channel b, that's where i get the looping reboots. volatages and speeds are all exact and the same per cpu-z.

I tried to lower the speed by setting ram speed to manual, user defined in the bios to 667, and i'm still getting the looping reboots when both channels are occupied. You did mention that there is a bios update and i'm going to go investigate that right now. Thanks for the heads up

Also, all DIMM slos work, i've tested both kits in both channels and have had successful boots with both ddr2 kits.

RAM has more than one 'Speed' encoded, run CPU-z and look at the 'Memory' tab using CPU-z and let me know the 'DRAM Frequency.' Next in the 'SPD' tab post the JEDEC Frequencies listed.

Further, in the 'SPD' tab list the values for 667MHz (333 MHz) CAS and Voltage.

Does your BIOS allow for DRAM Voltage and/or DRAM Timings?

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

okay, here we go,

Dram Frequency : 333mhz Channels: Dual
FSB:DRAM: 4:5
CAS# Latency (CL) 5.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5clocks
RAS# Percharge (tRP) 13 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21 Clocks

SPD Tab

Slot 1 : ddr2

Module Size : 2048 Correction: None
max bandwith: pc2-6400 (400mhz)
manufacturer : PNY Electronics

Timings Table.

Jedec 1 Jedec 2 Jedec 3

Frequency 200mhz 266mhz 400mhz
Cas# Latency 3.0 4.0 5.0.
RAS# to CAS# 3 4 5
RAS# Precharge 3 4 5
tRAS 9 12 18
tRC 12 16 23
Voltage 1.8 1.8 1.8

Slot 2

Not installed

slot 3
Exactly the same as slot 1

Slot 4
Not installed.

I'm not sure what you mean by if my Bios allows for DRAM voltage and Dram Timings? I do believe i can alter the voltage in my Bios, And i think i can alter the timings too. Everything int he bios memory configuration is alterable just about.

Most OEM {GW, Dell, HP, etc} BIOS lock-down settings for RAM and you're at their mercy. Okay, here's what you've got.

Running: 667MHz (5-5-13-21)
Rated: 667 MHz (5-5-5-18) @ 1.80v ; 400MHz cloest to 333 MHz (667 MHz) - CPU-z reports I/O Bus Clock and not Data Rate.

The Timings corresponds to (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS), and IF you BIOS allows then set the 'Rated' Frequency, CAS Timings and Voltage.

DRAM/Memory Frequency -> DDR2-667MHz
DRAM/Memory Timing {manually set}
(5-5-5-18)
CAS = 5
TRCD = 5
TRP = 5
TRAS = 18
DRAM/Memory Voltage -> 1.80v

Save & Exit = Yes

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Okay, gonna post back with results in a bit

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
problem still persists, Dram/Memory Frequencey at 667MHz CAS/TRCD/TRP to 5 but TRAS would not allow me to go over 15. Set voltage at 1.8. And still get looping reboots,

I think it's valid that i mention that i had to replace the MB on this system recently, I scoured the net and found an OEM dealer that was selling the exact motherboard that was in my system, I think perhaps something may be different cause i do remember that i was NOT allowed to overclock the CPU, yet in these bios, i noticed that the CPU is unlocked and avalible for overclocking.

The motherboard looks EXACTLY like my old one,

here's a list of the MB's they sell, I bought the 47.00 one.

The specs indicate it holds up to 8gb.

http://www.deal-stop.com/searchresults.asp?from=Q&FrmSearchWords=&SearchWord=Gateway+975X+Motherboard+

Link to the MB's the site offers. I bought the one for 47.00

Typical PC2-5300 is 5-5-5-15 @ 1.80v, IMO replace the RAM with PC2 5300.

It's still a good idea to flash the BIOS, CPU-z shows both the MOBO & BIOS under the Mainboard tab. Hopefully the replacement MOBO supports your CPU, if the CPUID info is missing then you'll have all sorts of unending issues including a 'dummied-down' CPU.

last post for the day.

Solution

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

I think your right, I have to get pc2 5300, While this ram claims it operates at the appropirate speed, it's just not working out. I had previous problems with other 1 gig sticks trying to pair it in another channel. till i finally just bought the duplicate pieces, which allowed it to not give a beep code, but still is giving me problems. the CPU is supported. the data reads in CPU-z fine, also the chipset supports the processor, I upgraded from a 1.86 dual core not too long ago, There's alot of hardware updates i've made, It's just this memory is really giving me a hard time, I'll just have to find exclusive pc2 5300 memory and try that.

Thanks again!