Sign in with
Your question

Advice on buying a HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2013 12:40:13 AM

I'm building a gaming computer and have everything but the HDD and OS. I'm looking at getting this :

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv...

with Windows 7. Would this be a fast HDD?

Current build is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWzx

More about : advice buying hdd

January 12, 2013 1:39:40 AM

HDD's really won't affect performance at all, so longas the HDD spins at 7200RPM or higher you will be fine.

Almost every HDD is identical in performance, you are just paying for capacity.

Yes, the HDD you linked looks like a good HDD, plenty of room, 7200RPM, and is a trusted brand. Enjoy.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 1:59:46 AM

Don't buy the Asus 460. It is very outdated. Currently, we are 2 generations ahead of that with the 6xx series, and the 7xx series will be coming out in a few months. If you want to spend $225 on a GPU then get at 7870. Also, the new GPUs are less power hungry. (save some money on energy build)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Like warhead0 said, most HDDs have good performance, but make sure its 7200rpm. Seagate or Western Digital.

Also, you don't need to spend more then $15/20 on a DVD drive. If you want BluRay then you gotta spend more, but otherwise its not necessary.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 2:49:22 AM

Actually I already had the GPU (actually got it for $90 from geeks.com), Optical Drive, monitor, keyboard etc.

I had a computer and the Hdd and mobo went kaput so I just used what I could from it and decided to build a new one.

I will update the GPU eventually though, I just don't have the money for it right now. Would a gtx-660 be good? I'm only looking to spend about $250.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2013 2:52:48 AM

smoats said:
Actually I already had the GPU (actually got it for $90 from geeks.com), Optical Drive, monitor, keyboard etc.

I had a computer and the Hdd and mobo went kaput so I just used what I could from it and decided to build a new one.

I will update the GPU eventually though, I just don't have the money for it right now. Would a gtx-660 be good? I'm only looking to spend about $250.

Great buy!

Wait for the GTX 760.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 3:55:53 AM

smoats said:

$90 for a 460 is great! A 660 is a great value card, but if your happy with the 460 then maybe you want to wait a couple more months to save more money and get a 7870. Also, the 660 came out in September so it is still very new and the next gen GPU at $220 will probably be a while. I wouldn't go cheap on a GPU, especially if you want to game a lot. Save the money, it'd be worth it.
m
l
!