PC reboots in UT2004 ) -:

Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it 2-3
times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only happens, in
UT2004, other wise run fine.
Few months ago, put together this system, Intel P4 2.8 Gighz, ATI 9600
all-in-wonder video 128 meg, I kept the old 2100 DDR 266 Mhz memory 1
gig, could use faster ones, 330mhz. WinXP OS.
Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a 350
watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
Any idea? Any one experiencing the same thing?

Thanks, JS

In article <ZnIoc.39422$xw3.2543260@attbi_s04>,
Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:

> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it 2-3
> times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only happens, in
> UT2004, other wise run fine.
> Few months ago, put together this system, Intel P4 2.8 Gighz, ATI 9600
> all-in-wonder video 128 meg, I kept the old 2100 DDR 266 Mhz memory 1
> gig, could use faster ones, 330mhz. WinXP OS.
> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a 350
> watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
> Any idea? Any one experiencing the same thing?

I experience the exact same thing, WinXP,1gig2100DDR,
AMD2400+,Radeon9700Pro,AudigyGamer. I have an Antec430w PS, though. I
thought I had traced it to my Audigy, because choosing EAX results in an
immediate crash, so I've been running in safemode. A few days went by,
boom, same crash. Only in UT2004. Never happens in UT2003, FarCry, etc.
The only thing I may try next is seperating as far as I can the Audigy,
Radeon and AMDcpu on the board and PCI slots, in case of a heat
problem...

Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:
>Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
>suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot!

Check cooling by the simple expedient of touching all the chips and
heatsinks when it's running a demo, to see if anything's too hot to
touch. Also check your power supply voltages under load and see if
they are holding up. Not all X-watt power supplies can actually put
out X watts...

--
William Smith

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:33:31 -0400, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <ZnIoc.39422$xw3.2543260@attbi_s04>,
> Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
>> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it 2-3
>> times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only happens, in
>> UT2004, other wise run fine.
>> Few months ago, put together this system, Intel P4 2.8 Gighz, ATI 9600
>> all-in-wonder video 128 meg, I kept the old 2100 DDR 266 Mhz memory 1
>> gig, could use faster ones, 330mhz. WinXP OS.
>> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a 350
>> watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
>> Any idea? Any one experiencing the same thing?
>
>I experience the exact same thing, WinXP,1gig2100DDR,
>AMD2400+,Radeon9700Pro,AudigyGamer. I have an Antec430w PS, though. I
>thought I had traced it to my Audigy, because choosing EAX results in an
>immediate crash, so I've been running in safemode. A few days went by,
>boom, same crash. Only in UT2004. Never happens in UT2003, FarCry, etc.
>The only thing I may try next is seperating as far as I can the Audigy,
>Radeon and AMDcpu on the board and PCI slots, in case of a heat
>problem...

Are yo guys overheating your system during gameplay and triggering a
BIOS auto-shutdown? Checked system temp and shutdown thresholds?

-s-

Meltdown

Szaki enlightened us with:
> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it
> 2-3 times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only
> happens, in UT2004, other wise run fine.

Check for viruses, overheating computer components, and too low a power
supply.

> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a 350
> watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?

If you get a 350 one, you'll have the same situation all over again if
you replace some hardware with more power-hungry stuff. I'd suggest at
least 450 Watt.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

In article <54d7a0p687dv66d7dvcdb40v722k5ac1s1@4ax.com>,
Steven L Cox <stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:33:31 -0400, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <ZnIoc.39422$xw3.2543260@attbi_s04>,
> > Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
> >> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it 2-3
> >> times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only happens, in
> >> UT2004, other wise run fine.
> >> Few months ago, put together this system, Intel P4 2.8 Gighz, ATI 9600
> >> all-in-wonder video 128 meg, I kept the old 2100 DDR 266 Mhz memory 1
> >> gig, could use faster ones, 330mhz. WinXP OS.
> >> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a 350
> >> watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
> >> Any idea? Any one experiencing the same thing?
> >
> >I experience the exact same thing, WinXP,1gig2100DDR,
> >AMD2400+,Radeon9700Pro,AudigyGamer. I have an Antec430w PS, though. I
> >thought I had traced it to my Audigy, because choosing EAX results in an
> >immediate crash, so I've been running in safemode. A few days went by,
> >boom, same crash. Only in UT2004. Never happens in UT2003, FarCry, etc.
> >The only thing I may try next is seperating as far as I can the Audigy,
> >Radeon and AMDcpu on the board and PCI slots, in case of a heat
> >problem...
>
> Are yo guys overheating your system during gameplay and triggering a
> BIOS auto-shutdown? Checked system temp and shutdown thresholds?

Why doesn't it happen in *any* another game? Especially since I've
turned down all the video settings to low in UT2004. It crashes
occasionally during single player as well...

In article <8rc7a0136etl2o1v6r6p9iq07uuimtee6k@4ax.com>,
William P.N. Smith wrote:

> Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:
> >Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
> >suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot!
>
> Check cooling by the simple expedient of touching all the chips and
> heatsinks when it's running a demo, to see if anything's too hot to
> touch. Also check your power supply voltages under load and see if
> they are holding up. Not all X-watt power supplies can actually put
> out X watts...

Just read the first patch for UT2004 is out - will try that...

martin

MeltDown wrote:
> Szaki enlightened us with:
>> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
>> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it
>> 2-3 times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only
>> happens, in UT2004, other wise run fine.
>
> Check for viruses, overheating computer components, and too low a
> power supply.
>
>> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a
>> 350 watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
>
> If you get a 350 one, you'll have the same situation all over again if
> you replace some hardware with more power-hungry stuff. I'd suggest at
> least 450 Watt.
>
> MeltDown

Agreed. Also download memtest86 and run that to check out your memory. Your
BIOS may allow you to increase agp voltage. When you look for a PSU try to
get one with at least 20 watts on the 12 volt rail.
Try running prime95 to give your non-graphics subsystem a good check. Can
your system complete 3dmark03?

UT2004 is stretching your processor, memory and graphics subsystem more than
most games around (possible exception of Far Cry).
You don't say if you are overclocking, but that would be the first thing to
correct if you were.

Good luck

Martin

martin

Martin wrote:
> MeltDown wrote:
>> Szaki enlightened us with:
>>> Some times my PC reboots, when playing UT2004. Playing the game,
>>> suddenly than, screen goes black, bang, reboot! Some times does, it
>>> 2-3 times the same day, than for a few days it goes away. Only
>>> happens, in UT2004, other wise run fine.
>>
>> Check for viruses, overheating computer components, and too low a
>> power supply.
>>
>>> Case has has 300 Watts power supply, I wonder if I should go for a
>>> 350 watts. Maybe, it gets over loaded, 2 hardisks?
>>
>> If you get a 350 one, you'll have the same situation all over again
>> if you replace some hardware with more power-hungry stuff. I'd
>> suggest at least 450 Watt.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
> Agreed. Also download memtest86 and run that to check out your
> memory. Your BIOS may allow you to increase agp voltage. When you
> look for a PSU try to get one with at least 20 watts

Meant to type amps.

Martin