Which cpus work on a am2 Socket?

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hi evereybody
my mobo is asus m2n_e with am2 socket .rams are 2*800mhz 1gb and graphic card is 4850
i just wanna know if i can replace my athlon X2 4800+ with a good option that works on my mobo to help playing games good enough.
what options do i have?
sorry for my english!

You may see a benefit from adding RAM, but really your CPU is going to limit how well your system handles newer games. Hopefully it is realistic for you to save money to buy a new mobo+CPU+RAM.

Yes, it's wrong.
You have no way of installing a socket AM3 CPU but those are listed in that link.
As noted above, the best you can do is an Athlon 64 X2 6000+
And apperently, according to the list 6500+
I think the purpose of that list is to just tell you what socket your motherboard has and allows you to find the best CPU for your socket type. But pretty much all CPU sockets for AMD are listed.

Looks like the 6500+ is a black edition meaning you could overclock it, but honestly I would just save my money for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
To use that processor, it looks like you need to do a BIOS update and given what is listed in the notes, it doesn't look like it would be simple

Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
"Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree"

pain in the neck, but possible, heck you can throw a phenom II in there if you want, a 4 coe will be best but a athlon II x3 can work as well, just expect a headache getting it to work

add

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

darlord is partially right, as some am2+ bpards will not take am3 cpu's but yours will as your link and this wiki link showws am3 cna be dropped in am2+ provided the mobo manafacturer releases bios to suppor tthe new cpu... but again in your case it involved some headaches

Yes you can use a better CPU. Always check your motherboards CPU support page

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9

You can use just about any AMD CPU except for the X6 and 140W versions. In order to make room in the BIOS to recognize all that fun stuff they had to get rid of the LAN ROM, which you may care if your a network admin but for a gaming machine not so much ^_^. I don't know what difference the Crashfree downgrade thing makes though, since Crashfree should still let you restore the BIOS from a USB, unless you're really into modding your BIOS.

So yeah, if you don't use Crashfree then you won't care about the downgrade and if you're not obsessed with packet latency you can handle the ROM being taken care of in the drivers rather than a faster BIOS implementation. Even then you could always just get another network card :p

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
As you Can See In the link:http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NFlvt10av3F7ayQ9
I can use a phenom 9950 on my mobo without any bios changing because my bios ver is 1703
but the question is how much this replacing will help me? my monitor is 1024*1280 and i just wanna play games at this res i think my 4850 and 2*1gb 800mhz rams is enough but because of my cpu (4800) I have trouble In some games . but it looks like that cpu will work with 2 cores only!is that right?
What do you say?

No, all cores will work.

How much would it help? A little bit with the 9950. Its faster than what you have, even for games. However the better choice would be one of the newer chips. You would get a bigger performance increase and they are not expensive. The 3.4 GHZ X4 965 could be had for $150 or a 3.3 GHZ X3 455 for under $100. Much more power for the money unless your getting the 9950 for nothing or next to nothing.

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Some people says i only can use a athlon 6000 or 6400 and some says i can choose anything.
Asus website says i can use the cpus listed there and i only need a bios configuring beside M2N-E support 2cores .what is that mean? what will happen to another cores if I choose a 9950 phenom or 965?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
According to the CPU support list, you can choose pretty much any processor. HOWEVER, to use the newer Athlon II or Phenom II you will have to modify some things in the BIOS. The 2 core support I believe is just announcing the fact that it will support 2 cores because when the board came out, Dual core processors were still fairly new.

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks everybody
My last question is this: If I replace my 4800 with a phenom965 or maybe 9950 or athlonII 640 , my ati4850 and 2*1gb 800mhz kingston HyperX , will I have any problems with gaming in 1280*1024 resolution?
beside what is crshfree? What is this mean?:(Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree )
Or mybe I better use a 9950 that dosn't need to do such a thing?

I don't think you have to remove those features manually. That should be all be done by the bios update itself. Its just warning the user that the bios update removes those functions because of space limitations. Could be important to some users who for one reason or another use or need those functions.

Crashfree is just a bios recovery feature to help recover from bios issues. And you would only be downgrading not removing. Not a big deal.

LAN PXE ROM is a Pre-Boot Execution Environment. It allows a workstation to boot from a server on a network prior to booting the operating system on the local hard drive. You don't need that either.

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Thank You. but you didn't answer my most important question.
So my very last question will be if these are enough for gaming at 1024*1280:
phenomII 965, HD4850 , 2*1gb Kingston HyperX 800mhz.
yes Or no?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
you will be fine. the phenom II 965 is a great processor. You will have plenty of power for that resolution. You could probably even get a 1680x1050 monitor and be alright.

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks Again .I think Even a AthlonII X4 640 is enough But I'm afraid of my 800mhz memories.
Do you think They Can Handle it?

grishnukh

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
You know I don't have any problems with Crysis,Far Cry,Grid & Dirt2
But My PC can't run NFS Undercover,Hot Pursuit and COD Black OPS smoothly
Who's fault is it?My CPU 4800+ or 2*1gb Kigston HyperX 800 MHZ?
Because I know My overclocked HD4850 Can run this games at 1024*1280 Easily .
I mean will replacing CPU solve the problem?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
If you don't have any problem with Crysis, a very GPU intensive game, then I would guess your CPU is the bottleneck on the others. Either the Athlon II 640 or the Phenom II 965 will be fine for gaming. The only difference between the two is the Athlon II doesn't have L3 cache. That does make a little difference in gaming but both are great processors.