Your question

New build. Ati 5770 has no video

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2010 5:47:47 PM

Well first off I would like to say I am very new to the computer community. This is my first build so be gentle...

Ok well when I startup with my 5770 in the comp no pic comes up on screen. Either using video card or on board video output. Also card is installed and powered up. Now if i take out the 5770 and boot i can get to BIOS fine. Any ideas? Card is good... checked on friends comp. Also i have yet to install a OS. My windows 7 is in the mail.

Here is what i got:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BLACK 3.4ghz

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

A-DATA 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD

Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader

ATI 5770 1gb Video Card

COOLMAX CL-700B 700W ATX 12V V2.3 Power Supply

4 total fans

More about : build ati 5770 video

a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 6:22:50 PM

Let me get this straight. You have video from the onboard GPU. When you add a video card, you have no output. But the video card works in another computer. Right?

My guess is that the PSU cannot carry the additional load of the graphics card.

First, if you haven't changed any BIOS settings affecting the graphics, when the BIOS detects the presence of a video card, it automatically deactivates the onboard graphics. So with a card, working or not, you will not detect any output from the onboard video port.

Try to borrow your friend's PSU to replace yours.

If you cannot, try to borrow a multimeter. Without the graphics card present, measure the voltage on the gray wire of the PSU. Should be 5 volts. Then repeat with the video card in. If it drops to 0 volts, your PSU is defective.

You can carefully probe the back of the PSU main power plug. Other lead should go to chassis ground or one of the black wires.
m
l
August 20, 2010 6:41:52 PM

Alright ill try another power supply. Hopefully its as simple as that. Ill give it a shot when I get off work work.

lame if its the PSU... its brand new from new egg and I really don't feel like dealing with a return... ~_~
m
l
!