Sign in with
Your question

Subjective performance opinions on these upgrades

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2010 6:10:41 PM

Hello Forum goers!

I am in the process of upgrading my current computer and like always when I'm about to spend a good amount of money, im a bit nervous about my satisfaction being worth the money spend. I know the upgrades I am getting are faster than what I have but I'm looking for more of a subjective opinion to the kind of increase I see. My worst fear is spending $700 to get better performance in games and then to end up being like "oh, i kind of notice a difference."

Here is my current system and what I will be keeping and reusing.

Replacing:
Q9400 Quadcore CPU 2.6 OCed to 3.0
4 GIG 800 MHZ DDR2 Ram
GTX 8800 786
GigaByte board

Reusing:
Coolmaster ATX Full tower
500 gig SATA HD 7200 RPM
650 watt corsair PSU
DVD DRIVE, Mouse, Keyboard ect.

This is what I plan to replace the top 4 with
i5 760 CPU
Gigabyte P55-USB3 MOBO
Kingston 4 GB (2x2) 1333 DDR3 Ram
MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1GB video card

I mainly play Mafia 2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, and Possibly Final fantasy 14 soon. Currently in Wow I play on mostly 'high settings' not ultra and do ok when not a lot of stuff is going on but in big battles and what not, I start to see a drop in FPS. The same goes for starcraft 2. I would like to be able to play ultra settings on these games with a better overall frame rate, especially with a lot of stuff going on. Other games as well I want to run faster.

I guess what I'm asking in the overall is will I see a significant over all increase in performance that would justify 700 dollars. I do game for quite a few hours per week so I do use the computer a good amount. The computer I'm on now was originally built by me like 5 years ago and some things replaced (MOBO+CPU) But it's at the best it can be upgrade wise without a total rehaul. I feel I have done my research but I want to hear some other opinions.

a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 4:44:43 AM

Err 1st off:

Majority of games aren't even quad core optimised and it's not as if u on a dated single or X2 so if only gaming is on the table i would say your current platform is more than enuff

Netx also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-...
There is no chance of backwards/forwards compatibility whatsoever

In summary: if u could wait till October 19th, HD 6000 will be upon us and there could be repercussions in the pricing scheme of GPUs ^^
m
l
!