Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade current machine advice, please help.

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2010 6:54:50 PM

Current Machine Specs

ASUS P5Q-PRO
Pentium E5200 @ 2.5GHz
Xigatek Cooler+Fan
OCZ 2x2GB (4GB) DDR2 Single Channel
Radeaon HD 4850 (Overdrive Overclock settings: Core 690MHz, Memory 1188MHz) 512MB Ram
WD 500GB, 7200 RPM
Basic Optical DVD Burner (couldn't located specs without removing it.)
Antec 300 w/Antec 500W Power Supply
Vista 64

I just picked up a game, Final Fantasy XIV, I meet the requirements but it runs like garbage. Here are the recommendations...

Windows 7 (I have a copy from another machine I can use, unless Vista 64 would be adequate.)
Intel i7 2.66GHz (or faster)
4GB RAM
GTX 460 w/768MB VRAM or equivalent Radeon Card
32Bit or better resolution ( I run 1920x1080 Full Screen on a 52" LCD just fine at the moment with other games, video and streaming.)
DirectX 9.0c or higher ( I have run DirectX 10 with current card)

My wife wants me to try and upgrade at the lowest cost possible so I do not have to build a full rig. Am I screwed and have to wait till I can convince my wife or is there a way to give my current machine a platform upgrade that will handle this game at the recommended levels or higher? This game is the writing on the wall for me, had this one for almost three years and this is the first time I have run into problems.

Best solution

October 3, 2010 7:17:45 PM

Hey man, I aint to savvy on this whole ordeal but here is some tables to run off for FFXIV

For GFX Cards and their effects on the game.
http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Graphics_Card_Matrix

For Processors and their effects on the game.
http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Processor_Matrix

You can look at these, determine where on the Tier you want to go. The closer to 1 the better the game will run. It will also give you info to see whats the cheapest components for the tier you want to aim for.

Hope it helps man.

Marc
October 13, 2010 2:03:01 AM

Best answer selected by jessegibson.
!