Sign in with
Your question

Question about partitioning hard drives

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2013 2:34:47 AM

Hi I am building a new PC and want to know if installing one 11/2 Tb hard drive will be better that installing one 1Tb and one 1/2 Tb hard drive. For security reasons
a c 102 G Storage
January 12, 2013 2:42:11 AM

I would say neither solution is more secure than the other.
Potentially the 2 drive config be more secure as a potential thief has to steal two drives instead of one, but that's hardly a security measure. That's also assuming that they dont just leg it with the whole PC.

Also what you are referring to isnt partitioning.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 197 G Storage
January 12, 2013 2:42:32 AM

I would just install the one and partition it.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 2:46:48 AM

Im sorry if I have mislead you guys. I want to make sure my data is secure from a crash. I am under the impression that if I install one 1.5 Tb drive and partition it as OS partition and Data partition, if one partition crashes do I lose all the info on the drive. Hence my thought of using 2 seperate drives.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 197 G Storage
January 12, 2013 2:53:08 AM

If your going to backup use 2 separate drives.
m
l
a c 102 G Storage
January 12, 2013 2:54:24 AM

The only way for a HDD to "crash" is if it physically fails somehow. If the drive stops working, all the partitions on it will also fail.

What your referring to is redundancy, not security. There are ways to make a redundant storage system, mainly through RAID arrays.

The partition idea has no redundancy, if the drive fails everything goes down.
With the dual drive system mentioned above you have don't really have any redundancy. You have two drives, but both have equal chances of failing and one is vital to the machine working.
However, if you were to go into a RAID1 configuration on two identical drives for your boot drive, it reduces your chance of total drive failure by half.

Heres a good video on RAID and its uses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBtmVMtH1g
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:04:15 AM

Thanx
sorry if I did not explain myself well, but you seem to have grasp of what I am thinking. I will check out the youtube
m
l
!