Setting an nvidia 2200 pro mainboard to win7 and RAID

Hello:

Would like to ask the forum’s advice and assistance regarding operating reference for setting Tyan s2866 sli mainboard to win7 for RAID 1 (5?).
Really nice board but, a tad "inscrutable". Nvidia forum advice (nforcers HQ) states the ‘nvidia 2200 pro is just another nforce 4 chipset’.
Following the nforceHQ (overworked) gurus advice (Create a boot floppy-cdrom to load nforce 4 drivers…) has yielded a Win7 machine that boots with single disk pack that is almost 2X the size of the anticipated RAID diskpack.
This leads me to guess the disk pack is really a Microsoft version of JBOD instead of true RAID. I anticipated getting a RAID1 array @ 320 Gigs and the BIOS displays the disk pack as 1 drive @ 598Gigs!
Before I go and try to re-create the wheel and tilt a couple more windmills, I hoped to get your qualified, ‘take’ on the pro 2200 chipset, Win 7 and Raid 1.

Plan-A: The machine will be used to store legacy data. Disk Mirroring should be,’ part of the cruise’.
Plan- B: includes buying a (low cost) PCI RAID Controller card that will allow ideally configure the hard drives and a maybe aparity drive in RAID 5.

4 Questions:
1. Any insight as to how the drives are mounted, now?
2. Is there a PCI controller card that, ’does’ RAID 5?
3. Will 2-Sata II drives and a PATA drive work together for RAID 5?
4. Is there (predictable) disk management software (available) that will configure RAID on a legacy chipset like the nvidia 2200 pro?

Syspecs:
Tyan s2866-2nrf-rs, (sli) mainboard
Opteron 185,"denmark" proc
2 x xfx Geforce 8500gt video (configured as SLI)
2 x Hitachi Deskstar, "hdt725032vla360" P/N:0A3345 Sata 3.0 3.5" Harddrives
4 gigs Kingston Value ddr 3200 memory (KVR400X64C3A/1G )
Ultra 650 watt, "LSP" power supply.
Win7 Ultimate

Thanks in advance
1 answer Last reply
More about setting nvidia 2200 mainboard win7 raid
  1. 1. no
    2. yes
    3. no
    4. It depends if your motherboard supports it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt NAS / RAID Nvidia Systems