Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Weird Gaming Problem. Any Thoughts??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2010 6:09:19 PM

Hey guys. Lately when I've been playing Starcraft ii, the game has begun to blink or flicker. It locks up for a second sometimes, and sometimes it also makes units/buildings all black without detail.

The resolution is 2048x1152, and I'm using a EVGA GTX 275 FTW edition. My settings are at Ultra in the game, and my card has never stuttered like this before when playing other games set at the Max settings.

Processor: i7 920
Ram: 6gb
Board: EVGA X58 SLI LE
HDD: 74gb WD Raptor
GPU: EVGA GTX 275 FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbX56CoJVk&feature=play...

I've included a link to a youtube video of my screen while I mess around in SC. At around 30 seconds, the screen locks up, and then blacks out for a second. Sometimes when it returns to the normal play screen, the little monitor icon for input source DVI will pop up as though it was source checking or something. There are no instances of the blacked out units/buildings in this video, but several instances of the blinking/flickering screen, and the blacking out of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbX56CoJVk&feature=play...

These are some of the more noticeable times in the video that you see the problem:

00:30-00:35
01:00
01:23
01:43
02:32
02:48-02:52
03:41

Has anyone seen this before, or know what it might be due to? I'm open to all thoughts. I'm just trying to figure out what on earth is going on. Let me know what you think might be up.

As always, thanks a bunch for all your help.
August 25, 2010 8:34:28 AM

this looks like your drivers breaking and recovering silently (meaning that it doesn't inform you with the usual tooltip from the taskbar

have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

also you didn't mention your power supply, but some cases like this are due to the gfx card failing from not getting enough power - resulting in the driver interruption
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 11:27:35 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Like silver said,it could be a driver issue,so do a clean install of the latest VGA drivers,here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on Nvidia and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done
Related resources
August 25, 2010 9:40:22 PM

@silversurfernhs
My power supply is 600W. I'm not sure how to tell if that's the problem, although I had suspected that might be it for a while. Any way to tell?

@Maziar
I tried your solution and it seems to have had some good results in a small test. I'll reply again if it comes back. Like silversurfer said, it could be the power supply.
Score
August 26, 2010 7:34:18 AM

there kind of is a way without geting a volt meter and monitoring your actual psu usage - you can burn in both your cpu and graphics card at the same time and see if that disrupts the drivers for lack of power... im pretty sure thats what it might be
Score
September 1, 2010 1:33:56 PM

so as it turns out, a number of people are having this problem as well. i've reposted the thread on the starcraft ii forums, and the conversation is continuing there in case you're interested. go there and voice out in case you're having the problem too.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628234180#new-p...

thanks!
Score
September 8, 2010 1:33:47 AM

Best answer selected by doneddie7.
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
September 8, 2010 1:38:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!