Sign in with
Your question

Issues with GTX480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2010 8:22:16 PM

Ok guys im very confused. First of all my graphics card is recognized in some places while not in others for example when i open my systems properties it gives me the details of my computer like my wuad core and RAM and when i had vista and my old graphics card it came up with my graphics card.

But recently i just moved my system in a new case , with a new powersupply, graphics card and motherboard and windows 7 and it doesn't come up with my graphics card on the system properties.. it also says "no any drives found" when im booting up my pc even though my harddrive is working fine and bluray drive.. But it does say on my nvidia control panel that my dirext x is updated to 11.0 even though i couldn't get directx to install downloading it before..and latest drivers are installed.

I also went on nvidia site for it to scan computer to see if my 480 was recognized there but no... and i downloaded one of the dx11 demos anyway and ran it and it crashed on me.

When i run the windows 7 rating system test it also crashes on the direct x aero test.. any ideas? :/ 

my motherboard : http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=gXUQex0X4rGOOh5E (P5Q SE Plus) for fast reference

and Point of view graphics card.. which i guess you don't really need a link to :p 

Also my powersupply is fine.. its a corsair 950 watt :)  and im running windows 64 bit with 4gb RAM and a q9650 processor

More about : issues gtx480

August 21, 2010 8:23:26 AM

I know it sounds dumb, but are sure you have the right drivers installed? Maybe try a driver sweep and re-installing past drivers?
August 21, 2010 8:12:22 PM

Quote:
So you replaced your motherboard and graphics card and still using the old hardrive with the old drivers on it?

You can't do that. When you replace a motherboard, you format the drive and re-install windows and the new drivers for your new hardware. You cant just boot up your new hardware with drivers from your old hardware and expect it to work right.

I thought the re-installation of Window 7s would have sorted that?
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 8:17:41 PM

What kind of installation of Windows 7 did you do? I would have reformated the HDD in the Windows 7 installation screen via the boot disk.

Also that "no drives detected" thing has come up on every ASUS motherboard I've seen as of late including my own, nothing to worry about (to be honest I don't know what its for, it might be an SSD thing).
August 21, 2010 8:45:04 PM

Helltech said:
What kind of installation of Windows 7 did you do? I would have reformated the HDD in the Windows 7 installation screen via the boot disk.

Also that "no drives detected" thing has come up on every ASUS motherboard I've seen as of late including my own, nothing to worry about (to be honest I don't know what its for, it might be an SSD thing).

Well at first when i was getting the components i got Windows 7 first so i thought i'd just use that for a while with my old system going from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but i could still grab music files and stuff from that old windows 32bit to my windows 7 64 bit and then deleted the windows.old to free up memory.. and it worked fine then i gave it into the guys and it looks like they done a re-installation of my windows 7 64 bit for my new motherboard and graphics but im guessing that won't have rid everything from before as i see in my computer files i have 2 windows.old files...
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 8:47:08 PM

Seems like they just upgraded and didn't do a total fresh install. I have always advised against not doing a clean install, but it SHOULD work anyway.

I would just back up all your important files to an external or some other media and do a fresh install yourself.
August 21, 2010 9:01:12 PM

Helltech said:
Seems like they just upgraded and didn't do a total fresh install. I have always advised against not doing a clean install, but it SHOULD work anyway.

I would just back up all your important files to an external or some other media and do a fresh install yourself.

I don't know how to do one i think.. lol , think im going to bring it back and tell them to do it..
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 12:07:14 AM

a1an said:
I don't know how to do one i think.. lol , think im going to bring it back and tell them to do it..

Ehh, its really really simple. As long as you have everything backed up you just put the Windows 7 CD in, make sure you boot from it, and its step by step from there. When it asks you what hard drive to install Windows 7 click "delete partion" then format, and then install Windows 7.
August 27, 2010 6:30:56 PM

Helltech said:
Ehh, its really really simple. As long as you have everything backed up you just put the Windows 7 CD in, make sure you boot from it, and its step by step from there. When it asks you what hard drive to install Windows 7 click "delete partion" then format, and then install Windows 7.

Ok i put in the windows 7 cd and botted from that then it loads up and it loads up the background theme but no text comes up? i really don't know what's going on now :/ 
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 7:49:16 PM

Sometimes it takes a long time to load. So you havn't even installed W7 yet, correct?
August 27, 2010 8:48:14 PM

not yet... i sent it away back to the shop and they did tests on it and they said it ran fine but i got it back and well seems as if it's not been fixed at all :/ 
August 27, 2010 9:42:36 PM

Helltech said:
Sometimes it takes a long time to load. So you havn't even installed W7 yet, correct?

I just formatted it there but i didn't delete the partition first, does it matter? It didn't fix pc though..
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 9:45:25 PM

You should delete the entire partion (if you have everything backed up first), and then format the entire hard drive, and then proceed with the installation.
August 28, 2010 6:13:53 PM

Helltech said:
You should delete the entire partion (if you have everything backed up first), and then format the entire hard drive, and then proceed with the installation.

Ok i deleted the partition and formatted it then ran it up without installing GTX480 driver and the standard windows game didn't freeze nor the system ratings.. so i guess that pins down something about my graphics card.. I've thought of something though.. my computer is connected upto a block where there are lots of other plugs getting fed of the block too... could that be a problem?
August 29, 2010 8:11:04 PM

Helltech said:

Nevermind i tested it out and there's no problem and also when i installed driver for GTX480 and thenn tried running same things it froze again... could it be a compatibility problem with my motherboard?
!