Xfx 4870 512mb frame drops

I've been having this problem since day 1 with my computer I built. It seems when the action is dull, the frame rate stays consistent. But when you put more people into the picture, or smoke effects, explosions etc. it seems the frame rate takes a HUGE hit. Almost like a 40-50 frame hit. Now I do have a 1080p monitor, is this card just not suitable for 1080p? When I say 1080p I mean usually High settings with a small amount of AA, and a small amount of AF. Even with those both off, I still get frame drops, just not as severe.

Now I've been told this might be a CPU issue. I've actually spilt some thermal past on a couple of pins underneath the CPU, and a little bit into the socket. I've cleaned it thoroughly, and never had any problems. My cpu temps are also fine. I still need to find the max temperature for that. But last time I checked it was getting around 80C under load.

win 7 64bit
4gb
xfx 4870 512
phenom II X4 (unlocked 4th core succesfully, but it's truly a X3) 2.8ghz

Please help :(
11 answers Last reply
More about 4870 512mb frame drops
  1. Well, it's natural that explosions and people would make the frame rate drop, they're hard to render... A few questions:
    What is your current resolution?
    What game is it?
    What is your current average framerate before it drops the 40-50?
  2. I currently am using 1920x1080 since it matches the native resolution of my monitor. I'd have to say it happens in all games. The only way to get a good framerate is to turn the resolution down to like 1440x900 and I still can't have the game settings on to high. This goes for all games across the board minus the unreal engine. For some reason it's the only good looking graphics engine that runs smoothly on my computer. My average framerate before it drops is usually anywhere between 70-115.

I always seem to have a lot of jaggies as well at 1080p. It could be my imagination, but it always seems VERY jaggy without any AA on. But even without AA on it can still drop.

EDIT: btw when I said 40-50 I meant how many frames are actually dropping, not the actual frame rate itself. Sometimes even more frames drop like up to 70. I could probably be getting 200 FPS and it would still drop down to like 40-50 FPS.
  3. What are your temps? If you CPU is hitting 80C its probably heat throttling, AMD lists the max safe temps for the PII's all to be ~65C so 80C is pretty hot and not good for it.

Since its still not smooth at 1440x900 its likely a CPU based limit rather than a GPU based limit.
  4. Oops, I meant GPU was at 80C. My CPU on load is probably around 45-50C. A little high but not bad I guess.

I can get ok performance at 1080p but the graphics will be somewhat limited, and I can't use any AA or AF. I feel as if there's just something wrong when I see frame rate dips accompanied by jaggies. I figured I paid $800 dollars and I can't even get decent performance with medium-high settings at 1080p with most games. Something isn't right.
  5. What games are you setting at medium - high settings? More modern games maybe really put a hurting on your card at that res on high settings. Smoke is a real GPU hog. I purposely pop tons of smoke in Bad Company 2 because I know it slows down the frames of opponents and I just right night through as usual. My buddy has a GTX285 and he had to turn down his settings because I was doing this to him. haha.

I had a 4870 and it is a good card, but some of these newer games would really put a hurting on it. It should run on medium settings though. It depends on which game. The Call of duty titles, including modern warfare 2, should have no problems maxed on that card.
  6. Ur 4870 is a 512mb card, what is the diff between 512 n 1 G, 1G card is better for rendering in higher resolution.
    Do u brought the card and the display at the same time?
    U should go for 1G card instead of 512, the ram of the card will be the bottleneck :)
    I am using MSI 512mb OC version, i face this also, from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 my frame rate drop at least 20 and above for running dirt 2 :)
  7. Alright, I figured it may be just not as powerful as I was expecting. The games I'm currently having trouble with are 32 man source games, Crysis, and BC2. I havent even played crysis because the frames are so bad. I'd like to play it but I turn the graphics down and it just looks like trash.

MW2 runs pretty well like you said, but I have some issues even with that game. Depending on the map, I'll get severe stuttering problems leaving me unable to play or enjoy the game.
  8. Just a few obvious points: Make sure you have no other programs running, check both the taskbar and Task Manager. Run a virus sweep (in Safe mode if possible) and check for malware. Run through the BIOS settings and check there is nothing amiss there. Update all the drivers-sound as well as video but set a Restore Point before you do so-You know it makes sense ;) Undo any driver changes, forcing AA through the drivers can have a more severe impact on framerates than enabling it through the game settings. Use something like CCleaner to clean the system, but check what it is going to delete.
    If nothing else, the above should make the system a little smoother.
    Smoke, flashy lighting effects and high precision shadows should be turned down or off, they all have a strong, negative impact on framerates.
    With 'just' 512 Mb of memory, the card is going to struggle with AA-Mine did and so is yours, turn it off and stick with the monitors native resolution.
    Do not expect too much- With an overclocked C2D and a 512 Mb 4870 my rig benched Crysis at 34 FPS at High settings with no AA with lows around 18 FPS.
  9. coozie7 said:
    Just a few obvious points: Make sure you have no other programs running, check both the taskbar and Task Manager. Run a virus sweep (in Safe mode if possible) and check for malware. Run through the BIOS settings and check there is nothing amiss there. Update all the drivers-sound as well as video but set a Restore Point before you do so-You know it makes sense ;) Undo any driver changes, forcing AA through the drivers can have a more severe impact on framerates than enabling it through the game settings. Use something like CCleaner to clean the system, but check what it is going to delete.
    If nothing else, the above should make the system a little smoother.
    Smoke, flashy lighting effects and high precision shadows should be turned down or off, they all have a strong, negative impact on framerates.
    With 'just' 512 Mb of memory, the card is going to struggle with AA-Mine did and so is yours, turn it off and stick with the monitors native resolution.
    Do not expect too much- With an overclocked C2D and a 512 Mb 4870 my rig benched Crysis at 34 FPS at High settings with no AA with lows around 18 FPS.

Ah that's good to hear, someone with a similar rig getting the same FPS. I really expected better graphics from my rig. I get so many jaggies. But I guess at 1080p and with card I got, I can't do any better.

I just don't understand all these videos on youtube using a 4870 and they're maxing out their games no problem. A large majority of them are using the same CPU. And in the description of their videos they say they don't get any less than like 30 FPS maxed out(crysis 1080p). It's like what? I can't even get a solid 30 FPS on medium-high settings with no AA.
  10. 512MB cards do not have enough onboard RAM to render with everything maxed; 1GB cards are the norm for high-end models now. I'd wager the 1GB version of the 4870 would see significant performance benifits in the titles you mention.
  11. it also depends on the size of the monitor also(i think so)
    lower down ur resolution is a better way, and u can stil set all the setting in high.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics