[Graphics Card] newbie trying to install ATI 4650

agent0

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
hey guy im trying to get an ATI radeon 4650 hd that i read about on this site which is a good option. i have a Dell windows vista home premium sp2 with intel core duo @ 2.8 ghz and 4.0g ram.

first question is which would be best for my comp? on ebay i see xfx, saphire, diamond etc and i have NO IDEA what the differences are. also, would the card fit into regular PCI slots? and are they plug n play?

im mainly trying to play 2 games which are Halo 2 and Starcraft 2. right now i have the stock integrated graphics card from dell and i know i wont be able to run it.

also if you know anything better for my computer than the ati 4650 for around $60, please let me know which and why.

srry if i am missing any needed info. please ask me what else you need to know for advice.

TY

agent0

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
#
# Bus: PCI-Express x16(Support PCI Express 2.0)
im pretty sure i have a pci-express on my computer isnt that what usually comes with todays computers? i meant pci-express as "regular" sorry

agent0

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
ok i am 100% sure i have a pci express slot (i have 2 pci slots and one pci express 16 on top). can someone explain the differences in the saffire , xfx, etc ?

Helltech

Distinguished
There aren't really any difference, they are all the same card, just different coolers and possibly overclocks (or even underclocks).

The best brands are Sapphire, HIS, XFX, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Also since you are not sure which PCI-e slot you have 1.0 or 2.0, I'm going to suggest you do NOT get a 2.1 PCI-e card. Stick with 2.0 (it is backwards compatible with 1.0).

Also what power supply do you have?

agent0

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

yeah i have chosen to go with a saphire card which is 2.0.

i just realized i might not have enough power for it since my supply says 300W max

and one question off this topic: whats the diff between the ddr2 512 mb, 1gb, and ddr3 512mb? they are all relatively the same price