Sign in with
Your question

Coolant on psu - can it be fixed

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 8:53:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently put together a water cooling system and only when I turned it on did I notice that one of the plugs on my gpu water block wasn't screwed in properly, this being so, after about 15 mins of operation a few drips started coming from the plug and before I could get something to tighten it or even turn the computer off the plu came completely off the water block.

To make matters worse not only is my gnu directly above my psu but it is also the lowest point of my loop so the entire 800ml of coolant poured out one my psu.

After this my pay sizzled and smoked for a solid 5 seconds before I could turn it off, however before turning it off all other component of my computer turned off although the pay kept sizzling.

So I removed the psu and left it out for a while and dried it up for about 24 hours, I then plugged it back in only to fond that now it does not work.

So my question is: is there likely to be any way to easily fix this? And, should I attempt to fix it if there is? ie is it easy to fix?

Also before anyone says I should have tested my loop or made sure everything was tightened properly: I realise this, I am currently suffering the consequences and am looking for a way to fix the problem at hand, I already know how to prevent it.

Thanks

More about : coolant psu fixed

a c 272 ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 9:10:01 PM

If it smoked and sizzled, i wouldnt consider it safe to use anymore. The PSU is likely severely damaged inside, and your average person is not qualified to attempt to fix a PSU, if you dont have experience working around electronics and with a soldering iron its not worth considering, just get a new unit to replace it, hopefully everything else in the system is fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 11:29:29 PM

Damn, I was worried that that would be the case, I have fixed a psu before but never one that smoked and sizzled

Thanks for the responses, I'll have to go shopping then
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2010 11:58:03 PM

New PSU time. Just hope that it didn't fry anything else when the PSU went out.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2010 12:05:50 AM

hmmm...well if you want to be adventurous and fix it, i do own a website :) 
m
l
!