PCI Express 3.0 or not?

p413943

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
So I am looking to do a new build (my mobo fried just recently) and I already have got a pretty good idea what I will be building, this will be mostyl for gaming and boring tasks like school, and storage. My biggest question is, do you think it's worth it from a primarily gaming perspective to go with a PCIe 3.0 board for the future, if I am getting an i5/i7 cpu now?

Previous posts I was reading made it sound like getting a PCIe 3.0 was useless unless you were planning to upgrade to the ivybridge cpu down the line, but I want my cpu to last me more than a year before I upgrade. Also ,if thats the case, why?! I thought pcie 3.0 would be good for future graphics cards, I didnt know the cpu really factored into that much.

Just fyi, not that it matters, but my build I am thinking so far will be Ripjaw X Series 8 gig, DDR3 1600 cas 8, and antec 300 illusion case, and Im 90% sure Ill go with the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k jsut because I don't think the 100 dollars extra is worth it for nearly no boost in performance for gaming. As far as the mobo goes I was planning on the MSI Z68A GD-80 G3, but if theres no point going with PCIe 3.0 I may change my thoughts on that.

Ok, so first of all there are no PCI 3.0 cards available, and any 3.0 architecture on a MB is going to be early version and is probably going to have issues once it is officially supported.

Sandy Bridge will be able to run the slot, but it won't be able to take advantage of the full bandwidth, that is one of the things Ivy Bridge does.

Right now, I wouldn't go for a board that is 3.0 because it is going to be more expensive for something that is not going to be used for a while at least. And it will probably have issues due the the nature that nothing is currently being made for 3.0

p413943

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, I know there are no PCIe 3.0 cards out yet, thats why I said for future cards. and that makes sense, and then in that case, any recommendations on the motherboard? I like the z68 board, and would like to go with that, but other than that, no real preferences

TRENDING THREADS