Price Drops?

With speculation that Nvidia may be releasing a lower end part, something similar to a Geforce 450 soon and the upcoming Radeon 6000 series. Do you think price drops are in store for the near future? Do you think holding off on buying a Radeon card is a good idea for now?
11 answers Last reply
More about price drops
  1. unless you really want a new ati card, i'd wait until the 6xxx series is announced (expected in october)
  2. Recently bought a pre-built system and was going to upgrade both the GPU and PSU for SC2 and was considering the Radeon 5770. But things could change in a week or two or more, and I don't wanna buy them only to find out they dropped in price.
  3. you probably wont see a price drop for a couple of months
  4. My rule, is unless there is an official date that is soon. I don't worry about waiting. Tech changes so fast anymore you will see the next gen card come out and it will be priced high or sold out. Then you will be waiting and they will jack the price because of high demand. Unless you jump onboard on day one you will be wait and by then you will have wished you bought when you were looking.

So don't wait, don't speculate. Just get the best you can at the time. Next year, sell for 1/2 the price and buy the new thing. That's what I end up doing.
  5. What jay2tall said, basically just get what accomodates your needs and price range, I'm sure it will last you long enough..
  6. Thanks for answering. I was thinking of buying a graphics card, enough to run SC2 on max settings during the single player and reduced settings during multi-player at 1440x900 with no lag whatsoever during the most intense battles.

To give a basic run down of my system. It's a HP Pavilion 6510f.

I wanted to get a cheap PSU and GPU to accomplish this. I was thinking of getting the Radeon 5770, but I don't believe I need something that strong or expensive since most likely I'll be CPU limited with my Althon II x4 at 2.8 GHZ.

I was thinking of this:

GPU:
    ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $30 after MIR

or this, the DRR5 version for 10 dollars more.

EVGA 512-P3-1240-LR GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

PSU:

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $40 with promo

Which of the GPU's do you think is better? Do you think I'd be able to run SC2 at the level I want to?

Or do you have any other better deals at something $100 or less?
  7. I think this article will give you a good idea of how much umph StarCraft actually needs to run with high settings. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/starcraft2-wings-of-liberty_4.html#sect0 Just remember their testbed is an i7. It does seem to scale well though. However, you are looking to run at max settings, so I don't think a GT240 will give you what you are looking for. What is your budget?

For $270 - $20MIR = $250. This is a great combo. It will run SC2 REALLY well. But not sure if you are willing to spend that much.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470415

A 5770 would still do really well in this game, much better than a gt240. I like the Earthwatt PSU 430w you found, and would run a 5770 perfectly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product
  8. At a very most I would want to spend would be $200 dollars total with both GPU and PSU together. Even then I'm reluctant to spend that much. I bought this as a pre-built and upgrade:

HP Pavilion p6510f Desktop PC

I agree. I thought the Radeon 5770 would be perfect too. Relatively small and compact considering the performance it deliver and excellent in power consumption. I considered some of the similar Nvidia based cards, but thought them too power consuming or too expensive. I'm considering the lower end Radeon cards. The 5750 or 5670 and have been looking for some good deals on them as well as the Radeon 5770. Concerning the PSU, I found it in another thread and thought it would fit my system excellently as it's vertical fan setup would assist the air flow in my case a whole lot better than a horizontal fan setup.

*With tax factored in
    System: $429.10
    PSU: $44
    GPU: ?

I was hoping to keep my expenses hovering around $600.

On another note, your right about processing power. My CPU is pretty inferior, and with the emphasis on CPU, my performance will be a lot lower than what your link shows.
  9. nothing wrong with a quad core Athlon II. for the price you are getting that system for, I think it's a good deal.

Isn't tha Antec 430w $40 after promo? not $44.

i would hightly suggest the 5770 and compromise for anything less. you might save $10 on a 5750 or something but it isn't worth it.
  10. It is indeed an excellent budget processor but considering the i7, my performance would likely be lower with the same GPU. I live in CA so I have that terrible 9.75% sales tax. :fou: My Comp. would of been $391 then. $416 originally, tax and then $25 dollars off coupon. :( As for the PSU, $40 with promo, another 4 with tax.

Oh, I already bought the system a few days ago by the way and have already been using it.

I'm still searching for deals, and the difference between the Radeon 5770 an Radeon 5750 isn't too great, 5 FPS or around there according to your link to XBIT, in SC2 anyways so if I find a great deal I won't hesitate. However I do know that the Radeon 5770 does perform greater compared to the 5750 by significant amount in general.
  11. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470409

or if you don't care about DX11

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470400

The 4870 is acutally a little more powerful then the 5770 but you a lot of perks of the 5770.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Geforce Nvidia Graphics Product