Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Memory timings - should they match?

Last response: in Memory
Share
August 27, 2011 12:21:33 AM

Dealing with blue screen of death on my new build.

Ran CPU-Z to check memory, etc...

Shouldn't the timings and such match up on a 16 GB matching set?

CPU-Z results


CPU-Z Memory Timings Table

#1 #2 #3 #4
Frequency 622 711 800 800
CAS#LAT 7 8 9 9
RAS# to CAS# 7 8 9 9
RAS#Precharge 7 8 9 9
tRAS 22 25 28 25
tRC 29 33 37 40
Voltage 1.5v 1.5v 1.5v 1.5v


Should these all be the same if this is a 16 GB matched set purchased together?

This is the G.Skill Ripjaw memory I just recieved and put in my new build. I am having
blue screen issues. Could this be causing it?

Bad memory? I need to change the settings somehow in the BIOS?

More about : memory timings match

a c 347 } Memory
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2011 1:16:51 AM

No, every RAM I've run across has 2-4 JEDEC Frequency/CAS/Voltage encoded sets. I assume (#4) Is the XMP. To run rated 4x4GB don't use XMP {Intel only} in the BIOS instead set the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz, CAS 9-9-9-25(24)-2N, running at DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v. Most 4GB/stick G.SKILL's I can think of are 9-9-9-24-2N (24) and not 25 as posted.

As the Frequency goes up {Faster} the CAS Timings also go up {slower}.

Q - What kit?
Q - What MOBO & CPU?

IF 2 sets of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL they might not run DDR3-1600MHz and often run at DDR3-1333 MHz.

IF the MOBO is P67/Z68 then always update the BIOS - it almost always a must.

IF the MOBO is P67/Z68 then VCCIO Voltage -> 1.125v~1.20v

IF the MOBO is AMD then NB CPU {VID} Voltage -> 1.30v and FSB -> 240 MHz, and CPU Multiplier = (__GHz * 100) / 200 = CPU Multiplier * (200 / 240) = Adjusted Multiplier and round up.
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:26:53 AM

jaquith said:
No, every RAM I've run across has 2-4 JEDEC Frequency/CAS/Voltage encoded sets. I assume (#4) Is the XMP. To run rated 4x4GB don't use XMP {Intel only} in the BIOS instead set the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz, CAS 9-9-9-25(24)-2N, running at DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v. Most 4GB/stick G.SKILL's I can think of are 9-9-9-24-2N (24) and not 25 as posted.

As the Frequency goes up {Faster} the CAS Timings also go up {slower}.

Q - What kit?
Q - What MOBO & CPU?

IF 2 sets of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL they might not run DDR3-1600MHz and often run at DDR3-1333 MHz.

IF the MOBO is P67/Z68 then always update the BIOS - it almost always a must.

IF the MOBO is P67/Z68 then VCCIO Voltage -> 1.125v~1.20v

IF the MOBO is AMD then NB CPU {VID} Voltage -> 1.30v and FSB -> 240 MHz, and CPU Multiplier = (__GHz * 100) / 200 = CPU Multiplier * (200 / 240) = Adjusted Multiplier and round up.


You lost me a little bit there, remember I am a noob at this stuff.

My memory is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It says 9-9-9-24 on the site.

MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So I need to go into the BIOS and make settings show 9-9-9-24?

And I don't know what XMP is??
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2011 3:31:58 AM

Yes, manually set the RAM as below. XMP is Intel's version of JEDEC and essentially is the programmed/encoded memory Frequency, CAS, and Voltage, using it as AI Overclocker Tuner -> XMP and eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile 1 with 4x_GB isn't advised. I really don't like XMP at all and I never use it when OC the CPU.

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe -
1. BIOS make sure you have at least Version 0603; IMO hlod-off on Version 0706. If needed update the BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash 2:
EZ Flash 2 is a built-in App to allow the BIOS to be upgraded and USB Flash Drive is the storage for the BIOS ROM file to be stored/accessed from with BIOS EZ Flash 2. The USB Flash drive must be formatted in FAT-32.

Link -> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2007021522310966...
Video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKQj_aASCQ

2. Once completed boot to the BIOS and manually make the following changes, and I assume you're not OC the CPU.

BIOS:
AI Overclocker Tuner -> Auto
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
Memory Timing Control/Enter
9-9-9-24-2N (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD); 2N is the Command Rate set it
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v ; failure 1.55v

Save & Exit

Failure - BIOS Changes to above:
AI Overclocker Tuner -> Manual
VCCIO Voltage -> 1.125v ; failure 1.20v

Save & Exit

Share
August 27, 2011 4:55:52 PM

jaquith said:
Yes, manually set the RAM as below. XMP is Intel's version of JEDEC and essentially is the programmed/encoded memory Frequency, CAS, and Voltage, using it as AI Overclocker Tuner -> XMP and eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile 1 with 4x_GB isn't advised. I really don't like XMP at all and I never use it when OC the CPU.

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe -
1. BIOS make sure you have at least Version 0603; IMO hlod-off on Version 0706. If needed update the BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash 2:
EZ Flash 2 is a built-in App to allow the BIOS to be upgraded and USB Flash Drive is the storage for the BIOS ROM file to be stored/accessed from with BIOS EZ Flash 2. The USB Flash drive must be formatted in FAT-32.

Link -> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2007021522310966...
Video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKQj_aASCQ

2. Once completed boot to the BIOS and manually make the following changes, and I assume you're not OC the CPU.

BIOS:
AI Overclocker Tuner -> Auto
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
Memory Timing Control/Enter
9-9-9-24-2N (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD); 2N is the Command Rate set it
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v ; failure 1.55v

Save & Exit

Failure - BIOS Changes to above:
AI Overclocker Tuner -> Manual
VCCIO Voltage -> 1.125v ; failure 1.20v

Save & Exit


Thanks for those details Jaquith.

I was able to change the timings to 9-9-9-24. These were all on AUTO previously. The CMD setting you indacted should be 2N however that entry kept switching back to AUTO after I would change it. Should this just be a "2" entered? Or a "2n"? 2N? I can go back in and try that one again (not sure if that part was critical or not?).

The DRAM Voltage was on AUTO and running at 1.656v and I switched this to 1.50v as you indicated. I did not see where I could put in an entry of "1.55v" for failure. Is that in a different location?

Your entry of "Failure - BIOS Changes to above"....does that mean IF the changes I made are still giving me blue screens then make those additional changes also? I didn't make any yet, I did see the VCCIO Voltage was set at a different rate than you indicated.

I made the changes indicated and will see how today goes with the computer.

I really appreciate your help and thanks for the continued input.

m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2011 5:22:19 PM

Command Rate (2) is 2, 2N, 2T are all the SAME. Use of 1N vs 2N can cause errors in extreme/high load conditions; most Prime95 blend tests errors have their roots in the 1N vs 2N. If you're losing (2 -> Auto) values in the BIOS then my first guess is that you have 'some' BIOS invasive App e.g. ASUS AI Suite II. If so then uninstall it; Bling gets you Bang.

OC P67/Z68 is extremely simple, and there are countess posts; small to medium CPU OC requires at most two changes: CPU Multiplier and vCore. You have a good OC MOBO with high phase power which gives you the advantages of low vCore compared to most other MOBOs so 4.0~4.2GHz might only require the CPU Multiplier and Auto vCore. There no one size fits all and variations in voltage are due to the pot luck of the CPU similar with RAM. See the 2nd spreadsheet -> http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/916189-comp...

Regarding 1.55 use the closest value higher/lower; even on my own MOBO I don't have the menu values memorized the point was a ~+0.05v above stock and then only if you're experiencing a problem aka failure from RAM. Ditto with VCCIO IF '~+0.05v' also fails; VCCIO is the CPU's IMC {Integrated Memory Controller} voltage.

The only way to KNOW, BSOD aside, that the RAM is running properly is to download the ISO/zip file and create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest then run 4-passes which on 16GB will take a while; Memtest86+ -> http://www.memtest.org/
m
0
l
August 28, 2011 12:05:30 AM

jaquith said:
Command Rate (2) is 2, 2N, 2T are all the SAME. Use of 1N vs 2N can cause errors in extreme/high load conditions; most Prime95 blend tests errors have their roots in the 1N vs 2N. If you're losing (2 -> Auto) values in the BIOS then my first guess is that you have 'some' BIOS invasive App e.g. ASUS AI Suite II. If so then uninstall it; Bling gets you Bang.

OC P67/Z68 is extremely simple, and there are countess posts; small to medium CPU OC requires at most two changes: CPU Multiplier and vCore. You have a good OC MOBO with high phase power which gives you the advantages of low vCore compared to most other MOBOs so 4.0~4.2GHz might only require the CPU Multiplier and Auto vCore. There no one size fits all and variations in voltage are due to the pot luck of the CPU similar with RAM. See the 2nd spreadsheet -> http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/916189-comp...

Regarding 1.55 use the closest value higher/lower; even on my own MOBO I don't have the menu values memorized the point was a ~+0.05v above stock and then only if you're experiencing a problem aka failure from RAM. Ditto with VCCIO IF '~+0.05v' also fails; VCCIO is the CPU's IMC {Integrated Memory Controller} voltage.

The only way to KNOW, BSOD aside, that the RAM is running properly is to download the ISO/zip file and create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest then run 4-passes which on 16GB will take a while; Memtest86+ -> http://www.memtest.org/


When I run CPU-Z and check it shows that the CMD is running at 2T via the AUTO setting.

Well the good news is the computer has been on all day today without even one blue screen, so I am guessing those few changes made some difference.

Should I still run the memtest86+ to make sure my memory is solid? Is this just a good practice anyway? Considering I have 30 days to RMA it if needed I don't want to have issues down the road.

Any other tests I should be putting this system through as a new build?

Thanks again for your help.
m
0
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2011 12:55:00 AM

I run Prime95 overnight, and Memtest 4-passes both for core system integrity testing. Then benchmarks ATTO for SSD/HDD and 3DMark for GPU http://www.futuremark.com/ in my paid version I can loop for added stress testing. If they all pass then I know they're good.

I don't run the tests just for fun, you need a burn-in period to know everything is rock solid. Most failures are immediate to 30 days. If I sense something isn't testing well then my 'feelings' are to exchange - less cases user error.

m
0
l
!