ATI Radeon HD5770 XFX - doesn't work with my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBIE

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hello Tom's Hardware,

about half a year ago I went to this site to seek advice on building a new system. At first everything seemed to be fine, and I really do appreciate the help I have gotten here. Then my graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD5770 started crashing the computer, atleast that is what I thought after looking on AMD forums and learning about the vertical stripes and complete computer freezes. I tried many things to get around this issue but there just didn't seem to be any solution, and therefore I RMA'ed the card. A week or two later I got the exact same card back. At the RMA service they were not able to copy the error, and of course they can't send a new one if this is the case. I decided to try myself after getting it back, and still the issue persists.

My next move is then to try it in a new system, after testing for a while in a system about the same strenght of mine (posted below), there were no issues, it just ran smoothly. I currently have no clue on what parts of my computer could be the reason of this, which is why I search help. When running on the graphics that are built in on the motherboard I experience no issues at all, and it really happens at all times, different frequences.

Please correct me if I am at the wrong place with this thread.

Thank you in advance, LeBIE

SYSTEM:

Processor: Phenom II X4 955 6 MB

RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Additional Processor Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1 TB

GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (1 GB)

DVD: Pioneer DVR S18LBK (Black)

PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750

does it have issues both in game and just standard desktop stuff? What about just sitting idle?

You could try using a different power connector from your PSU. i believe your unit has about 4 of them.
Also, try putting it in the other PCI-E x16 slot. I am not sure if it will allow you, but if it does it will only run at x8 speed. But really with that card it won't take a huge hit in performance, but I would do this just to test. I've heard of bad connections with the expansion slots on motherboards before, so it could be something to consider.

You are doing pretty well with troublshooting already. The kicker is XFX can not replicate the issue, and most of all you can't in another PC. I has sent an ATI 5870 back to ASUS 3 times before they gave me a refurbed card, which had a bad fan but that is besides the point. However, my issue followed the card and was only when running in 3rd at certain temps. Just make a list of tests you do and when it is failing. You want to determine a pattern if you can. I'd try the suggestions above since you already did some items I would try.

LeBIE

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hey jay2tall,

I'm very happy for you reply, as soon as possible I will try the things you pointed out.
The system crashes at just about all times, in games and when doing regular browsing.

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
First make sure your system has no dust inside or dust balls. Make sure your running a front intake fan and 1 side intake fan if possible. plus one exhaust fan in the rear also make shure your cables are neatly routed inside the case and away from the video card for proper airflow. And make sure your power supply is at least 450 watts. You can also try different video card drivers and motherboard chipset drivers as well. To test your hardware such as Ram and motherboard run Hot Cpu tester Pro. Also you can try resetting your bios .Good luck

LeBIE

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hey guys thanks for your responses!

@ jay2tall Swapping around the connections and all that didn't work, and as far as I am concerned it happens at all times, browsing, YouTube, gaming. Therefore I don't THINK it is a heat related issue.

@ Doom3klr All fans and everything should be fine and running, I cleaned the computer today before trying and still no succes. How do I know if my PSU is doing running enough watts? And also does the bios reset when I reinstall windows, because I have done so twice since getting my pc and it has changed nothing.

Thanks a lot, LeBIE.

Phoenix-61

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Listen.. how are your drivers looking? Get Ati's latest drivers.. and what operating system are you running?
We're all looking at the hardware.. could be the hardware's software

Status
Not open for further replies.