Your question
Solved

Upgrading from Pentium 4D

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2010 10:59:39 PM

It's finally time for me to upgrade my system from 2005. I'm giving that tower away and starting fresh. I have been spending more time lately gaming, work/productivity, media, etc. and think I picked out a suitable setup. I wanted a fairly strong PC all around but I'm not a die-hard FPS gamer or leet OC'er.

I have most of the parts in my possession already and have ordered the rest. Everything came from Newegg and MicroCenter. Nothing has been opened yet so I'm open to comments/suggestions if I need to exchange anything. Thanks guys.

Motherboard:
Asus P6X58D-E $229

CPU:
Intel i7 950 $230

RAM:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $140 After MIR $20

GPU:
EVGA GTX460 SC 768MB $189 After MIR $10
(Plan to pick up another card soon and run SLI)

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB $91

Optical:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA 24X DVD Burner $24

Case:
Antec 300 $55

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX $99 After MIR $10

CPU Fan:
CoolerMaster N520 $40

Total: $1,097

More about : upgrading pentium

Best solution

October 3, 2010 11:36:20 PM

I would check on that WD hard drive. I'm not sure what platter size it uses but I do know that the Seagate hard drives with either a 1 TB or 500 GB version of their 7200.12 line or get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 of the same sizes. These drives use 500 GB platters, which gives you higher areal density and thus more speed.

It would be worth the extra few dollars to get the 1 GB version of the GTX 460. Check out these benchmarks:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19404/11

Also, it would be well worth it to spend another $30 on a case like the HAF 912. It's just bigger, has more room for cable management, more spots for fans. It's just better and will be more pleasing to work in.
October 4, 2010 12:35:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The HDD part # is: WD1501FASS. This one has the same 500GB platters as the 2TB if I read the reviews correctly. If I can find a deal on a spinpoint, I'll cancel the order for my WD.

The TechReport link you posted is news to me. I have been following other sites such as Toms (duh) and this one:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/30

They gave the EVGA GTX 460 SC such high marks that I couldn't pass up the deal. Cheap enough to enjoy now and still see gains when I pick up the 2nd card. :D 

I honestly wasn't too sure what to go with for the CPU cooler. I picked up the N520 but I could exchange it for something else. Hell, I'm even thinking about watercooling it. lol
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2010 12:49:12 AM

No need to cancel the order on the WD, then. It should be about as fast.

Here's a site that compares CPU coolers:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

The N520 should be reviewed there. Offhand, I think I read that it was decent?
m
l
October 7, 2010 6:47:38 PM

I put everything together only to realize the heatsink fan is on backwards. The intake fan is facing the rear case exhaust fan. Coolermaster gives no direction or labeling as to which way the airflow travels. For anyone installing an N520, the proper way is with the writing right-side up with the intake fan on the right and exhaust on the left. I'll have to remove everything today and reapply the heatsink before I install my OS. Thanks for all the help guys!
m
l
October 14, 2010 12:09:03 AM

Best answer selected by Wiznaz.
m
l