Looking to upgrade my prebuilt

Posting from work. I cant remember all of my stats so ill edit when i get home.

I bought this prebuilt about 2 years ago. Not sure what mobo brand i have but my cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5800+. My PSU is a Corsair 450w. I have upgraded the Graphics card with an EVGA GeForce 9800gt. I have plenty of ram i think. I want to improve my gaming experience and upgrading the graphics card helped out alot! but i want to run SLI and i dont have another PCI-E slot. I would possibly also like a better CPU so a new mobo+CPU combo might be in order. What do you all suggest? Im not looking for top-of-the-line but not lookin for crap either. Sorry for the crap grammar, in a hurry typing this at work while i have a moment.
4 answers Last reply
More about looking upgrade prebuilt
  1. Well, for one your power supply wouldnt be able to power two 9800gt's i dont think. A new cpu and mobo would be in order, maybe an athlon x3 or x4.
  2. Hmmm...
    450W...
    hmmm...
    your current GPU is nVidias 9800gt...
    Hmmm....
    this is tough...
    Without upgrading the PSU :
    Get an X3 or X4 and a HD5770

With PSU upgrade (recommendable):
    1st option : Get an X3 or X4 and a second 9800GT.(but too bad you don't have another PCIex16 slot)
    2nd option : Get an X3 or X4 and a single GTX460 or a HD5850 (or higher).

If you are willing to replace even the mobo...well...I think it will be nearly a complete new built...If you choose to go this route...it is better to wait untill buldozer, sandybridge and hd6000 are already on the market..
  3. with an Athlon 64 X2, it could be one or 3 different chipsets: socket 754, socket 940, or socket am2. If its AM2, you could swap out the CPU for an Athlon II X3 (~$80) and upgrade the video card to a 5770 (~$140) for about $220, and this will see you though for 6 months to a year when bulldozer/sandy bridge/etc will be out and settled, enabling a new system
  4. Hmmm....those guys are correct...
    What is your mobo?
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Graphics Cards Systems