Computer will not boot from SSD

FlutterGuy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hi,

I'm running a homebuilt system with a 120 OCZ Vertex 4 SSD as a boot drive and a 1TB HDD to store data. It's all run fine for about 4 months, but this morning it would not load Windows (7). It just displays a black screen after POST, the 'starting windows' screen never appears.

If I go into the BIOS, the SSD is still recognised. If I launch startup repair from a bootable Windows setup disk, the SSD and the Windows install on it are both recognised. Note that I tried running startup repair and system restore; neither had any effect.

One obvious short term solution is to simply reinstall windows to the HDD, but that does not resolve the underlying problem with the SSD. Similarly, if I were to reinstall windows to the SSD the same thing might happen again.

Also, I don't know how relevant this might be, but a couple of days ago I got a warning message from the Asus AI suite about the voltage on the 3.3V rail. I checked, it's now at just over 3.4V, which seems slightly high...

Has anybody seen this problem before / know how it might be fixed? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

John (FlutterGuy)

FlutterGuy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Yes, it was first in the boot order, it was still refusing to load

I believe the problem has now been fixed. I was able to boot to safe mode, and after that an ordinary boot was successful. The underlying problem still worries me a bit though...