Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes11

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Just saw this computer on craigslist and I'm considering buying it. It has a $150 "Transformer" case and here are specs.

2.4 GHZ AMD Athlon 4000+ (high end single core, faster than low end dual cores like the 3800+ 64 x2)
1GB DDR Memory (2 open slots that you can put more ram in)
120GB Hard Drive
DVD-RW (Burns and Plays DVD or CD formats)
256MB ATI Radeon x1050

Is it worth $200? How well will it run games like World of Warcraft?

Thanks!

Solution
No. Not worth the money.

A single core 2.4 GHz processor is not going to be faster than a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor, unless you're dealing with a program that cannot take advantage of multi-threads.

Since it's using DDR memory, that means it's likely a socket 939 motherboard and is dead-end technology. Yes, you may be able to upgrade the processor, but the cost of those processors exceeds, by far, the benefit you'd get from it.

Looks to have on-board graphics. There is no mention of what type of graphics card slot it has (either AGP or PCI-E). If it's AGP (also dead end tech), you just limited yourself to what upgrades you could implement.

Quite simply, for $200, you could build a better core system. In NO WAY should you invest in...

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. Not worth the money.

A single core 2.4 GHz processor is not going to be faster than a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor, unless you're dealing with a program that cannot take advantage of multi-threads.

Since it's using DDR memory, that means it's likely a socket 939 motherboard and is dead-end technology. Yes, you may be able to upgrade the processor, but the cost of those processors exceeds, by far, the benefit you'd get from it.

Looks to have on-board graphics. There is no mention of what type of graphics card slot it has (either AGP or PCI-E). If it's AGP (also dead end tech), you just limited yourself to what upgrades you could implement.

Quite simply, for $200, you could build a better core system. In NO WAY should you invest in this computer.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Hmm if $272AR isn't a bridge too far: 3ghz+ Triple core with 80+ 500W, get a decent GPU later or do WOW @ 1024 x 768 low hehe
Untitled-2012.jpg

Hughes11

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I'm on medium right now with my pentium 4 2.4 ghz, 1gig ddr ram, and a sapphire 9600 256 mb graphics card, lol. I get about 12 fps in Dalaran, and 25-32 fps in dungeons. I'm sure the setup you suggested with the triple-core processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a pretty nice motherboard would run wow on high settings smooth as could be. Thanks for taking the time to put that all together for me, and the shirt's a pretty sweet deal! haha.

Hughes11

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

It's an AGP Radeon

Status
Not open for further replies.