Radeon 5870 crashing constantly!

gabrielleung

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I have a ATI Radeon 5870. The card was sold at a very cheap price to me by a friend who works at ATI in Toronto, Canada

Now this card is not a standard production model. It does not even have a serial number sticker on the card. It probably was a test sample.

The problem is that the card will crash almost instantly after I install the ATI Catalyst driver.

The crashing will stop only after I uninstall the ATI drivers. Any help here would help!

Bagataljen

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I just got a MSI 5850 the Twin Froz II model. It crashed in 3D mode after 30 sec - 1½ minuttes... :fou: . There are a lot of forum posts on crashing issues with AMD 5XXX series and not that many solutions, where people get it to work. I had the 3D problem - Some have it in 2D as well.

My fix
- Lowered the GPU to minimal in ATI overdrive. All crashes stopped
- Found sweet spot at 700 Mhz
- Installed the MSI afterburner, where GPU voltage can be modified
- Changed GPU voltage from 1,090 V to 1,125 V
- Result: Stable computer again. Have just run 3Dmark06, Vantage and Dirt 2 stress test without problems. Temp at 61 degrees C

Though I am still thinking about RMA. The GPU simply must be faulty, when it is not able to run at the specified 725 Mhz. Furthermore the MSI model is know to have great OC potential - Not this one... :pt1cable: