Very first homebuild -- opinions welcomed!!

Hi all,

I'm considering building my own machine from scratch and have put together a system on paper. I'd love to get opinions on the quality and balance of the build, the compatibility of parts, and whatever you have to offer. The system will be used as an all around system with a moderate slant toward gaming, and I hope to keep it running and able to upgrade for years. Here goes:

CPU: Intel i5-760, planning to use stock fan for time being
Video Card: XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - 8GB (2x4)
Hard Drive: Under Debate: Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB SSD and add a second drive when more room needed, OR Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V -- I know I probably don't need this much power to start, but since the unit won't use the extra power it doesn't need, I figured I'd build it strong to be able to accommodate extra graphics cards and other goodies in the future
ROM drive: ASUS - N82E16827135204
Case: Rosewill Challenger
Motherboard: This is where I'm really stuck. I'd like something that can accomodate USB 3 and SATA 6. Do all motherboard revert from x16 to x8 on the PCI Express 2 when USB 3 is used and 2 vid cards are installed, or is it possible to install 2 and keep them both at x16? Anyway, three boards I'm consider are MSI P55A-GD65, MSI P55A Fuzion, or the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro. I'm happy to consider other and perhaps less expensive suggestions, however.
Monitor: Probably a HANS G 21.5" or greater widescreen
Will also install a wireless LAN card.

That's it for now. Have at it, if you like.

Thanks,
Evo
13 answers Last reply
More about very homebuild opinions welcomed
  1. The only comments I have are about the HDDs and PSU.

I would only get 1 SSD, since all you'll really get benefits on is your OS response time. I use a WD SiliconEdge Blue 64GB SSD for my OS and a 500GB 7200RPM Hard drive and everything runs smoothly. I would stick with a SSD/HDD combo if you can afford it.

As for your PSU, I would go with the XFX Black Edition 750W, any of Corsair/Seasonic's PSUs, or Antec's Earthwatts or TruePower series. All of the PSUs I listed are the best on the market.
  2. cpu - fine

gpu - fine as long as you are going to stay below 1920 resolution. If you want the right card for 1920 gaming, its a 460.

HD - Quite different alternatives. If budget is an issue, get a fast HD, not a WD Blue, and add the SSD later. Fastest/Value-st atm are this 1 TB Samsung or its 500GB little brother:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=samsung_spinpoint_f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

psu - 750W is not a bad idea, but that unit is not the best quality/value. Try:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

mobo - Short answer, yes. They all "suffer" from the max number of data paths inherent in the 1156 platform. This Gigabyte gives you a top-two manufacturer and a good price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425

If you go 460, and want to preserve SLI as an option, you need a more expensive board.
  3. Thanks very much for the input, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

Twoboxer, you mentioned a less expensive motherboard as a possible alternative, but cited loss of SLI, which I'd like to keep as an option for another GPU in the future. If you had the choice of any motherboard to put in the machine, I'd be curious what that would be?
  4. do not get 8gb of ram it is overkill 4gb is enough, do not get a coolermaster psu only go for these brands antec, corsair, seasonic, xfx and so on, get a samsung spinpoint f3 hdd, best lga 1156 motherboard price vs performance in my opinion is the asus p7p55d e pro, as for the graphics card i would upgrade it to a gtx 460 1gb as you have saved more than enough for it by going for 4gb of ram
  5. can you wait though? as intels new range of cpus and amds new range are coming out sooner or later and the rest of the gtx 4xx series and the ati 6xxx series are also coming out
  6. Philus, I probably will wait a couple months at least -- how long do you think it will take for stuff to come down in price -- and by how much? December-ish?
  7. well i heard the ati 6xxx series is coming out end of october, so if your only buying in december i would wait and only ask questions then
  8. The link below shows two mobos that support SLI. At $140, the Asus does not support USB 3.0 & Sata 3.0. At $175, the Gigabyte supports SLI & USB/SATA 3.0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600007888&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=280%7C13-128-409%5E13-128-409-TS%2C13-131-405%5E13-131-405-TS

However, if 2 vid cards are installed, the Giga's USB/SATA will revert to current specs. There just aren't enough paths in the 1156 platform to support all of it simultaneously.

So for less money, the Asus gives you SLI; for more money the Giga gives both but its really either/or.

Personally, I don't have/forsee any use for USB/SATA 3.0 over the life of a platform purchased today. SSDs do not need SATA 3.0, and since the new std devices are backwards compatible I'd choose SLI (and crossfire of course) support. But your needs may be different.
  9. the p7p55d e pro has usb3 and sata 6gps and SLI and crossfire and when you crossfire or sli the usb3 and sata does not revert to current specs like the gigabyte boards
  10. +1 to Twoboxer's latest post; USB 3.0 hasn't quite caught on yet in devices, and SATA 3.0 doesn't really offer anything feasible at the moment (all the SATA 3 drives are expensive and still don't get up above the SATA 2 limit).

@sir philus: The p7p55d doesn't limit the USB 3.0/SATA 3 bandwidth. Instead it reverts the PCI-Express x16 slots to x8/x8, which is far worse than limiting the USB/SATA speeds.

If you really need bandwidth that badly, I would suggest moving up to the x58 chipest. There are just far more pathways supported.
  11. 2 5970s crossfired on 2 x8 slots only perform 5% worse than when on 2 x16 slots, correct me if im wrong but when dual graphics cards are on a p55 board arent they all at x8? only x58 has 2 x16 slots
  12. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

get this instead

sir philus said:
    2 5970s crossfired on 2 x8 slots only perform 5% worse than when on 2 x16 slots, correct me if im wrong but when dual graphics cards are on a p55 board arent they all at x8? only x58 has 2 x16 slots

and amd Fx series boards
    but generally all Intel X series boards allow 16 x 16 x
  13. obsidian86 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

get this instead

and amd Fx series boards

ya was just talking about intel boards
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product