Sign in with
Your question

I am having ram/motherboard problems looking for help

Last response: in Memory
August 27, 2011 5:30:05 AM

So i am having problems with my pc having reduced preformance so i sytem restored and now i was having lock up problems so i went and changed the ram to it's proper freqency and voltage because this was off because my ram is 1600 and it was deceted as 1333 and it was 1.468 i had done this before the system restore and had voltage fixed the problem last time but now when i adjust the voltage to 1.652 the current voltage says 1.634 or something similar if i set it at 1.688 it goes to 1.664 it never did this before the system restore but now i can't change it right and now i dunno what is at fault because these parts are less than 2 months old so they are both under warrenty i just dunno what to send back or what else to try any help would be very appreciated
August 27, 2011 5:58:23 AM

I have a p67a gd53 msi mb and kingston hyper x 1600 8 gb kit ram and ocz z series 850w gold plus certified psu
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2011 7:44:25 AM

The standard voltage for DDR3 RAM is 1.5V. If your motherboard's monitoring software is reporting 1.468V at the default settings, that is just fine. RAM that is working properly will work in a range of voltages, probably down to 75% of their rated voltage. Besides, the circuitry for detecting RAM voltages in most motherboards is not really that accurate. Even a high-end digital multimeter is probably off by at least 0.1V, so expecting $0.50 worth of electronics to get within 0.032V is asking a bit much.

Regarding your specific RAM. I'm guessing the PC detected it at 1333 MHz and you thought this was a problem, so you set it to 1600 MHz. RAM that is rated for 1600 MHz will run fine at pretty much any speed lower than its rated frequency with no problems. If you were having stability problems at 1333 MHz, they will probably be worse at 1600 MHz (if they are RAM related).

Many manufacturers who sell "high performance" memory kits just take the regular versions of their memory kits and slap a higher voltage rating on them so that they will be able to overclock to the higher spec. This is what Kingston has probably done with your memory modules.

I'd suggest you allow your motherboard to auto-detect speed and voltage settings for your RAM (it does this by reading data programmed by the manufacturer into a chip on the memory modules) and run a test like memtest86+. If that turns up with no errors after 24 hours or so, try bumping up the voltage and frequency settings if you want and re-run the tests. If those still pass, there is like a 95% chance everything is okay with your RAM and the problem lies elsewhere. If the tests fail, contact Kingston and arrange for a warranty exchange. Your PC may be stable with just 1 memory module installed.

Best regards,

Russel
m
l
Related resources
August 27, 2011 4:10:57 PM

Problem is if i let it auto dectect the ram the computer will lock up :(  i fixed it last time by changing those ram settings and when i changed it the current ram said what i set it too now if i do that it doesn't say the current is correct and i have system lock ups
m
l
August 27, 2011 4:33:20 PM

So i burned the newest mem test to a cd and it asks which version to run i select the newer one and it runs for 3 seconds and says unexpected interruption halting CPU0 and it has a list of a bunch of stacks. But when i use the older version it says in the top left corner that my cpu is a i7 but i have an i5 2500k? so i dunno what is going on
m
l
August 27, 2011 4:34:10 PM

oh and the older one does appear to run right
m
l
!