Oem for the new hard drive or no?

Ok so i have Asus U56e laptop where the hard drive is dying. I get messages to replace it and sometime i can hear it clicking. So being aware of that, Everyone would say backup the files or hope you did already? The only files i need is the operating sytem which in windows 7 64-bit. Everything is is junk and i got rid of it anyhow.

So which bring me to my main question:

Since i do not have the recovery disc from asus, and i cannot create the image using the backup since the harddrive keeps failing, could i use a oem windows 7 brand new i have sitting in my house unopened on the new hardrive i wanna buy?

I went the the asus website and they charge 50 bucks for the recovery disk, but why pay it if i can use a new os i have already . Any help would be greatly appreciated ty

3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. It would probably work if it is the same windows version (ie. home premium). Make sure you get the key from the bottom of the laptop before trying. Do you have a new hard drive?
  2. Yes indeed it is the exact same Versions. They are both winodws 7 64 bit sp1 home. Just bought the new hard drive, gonna try to install it tonight. Anything else i might need to do?
  3. Only thing I would suggest, if you have the money, is trade the new hard drive in on an SSD at least 120gb and use it instead of a hard drive. For laptops it will speed up load times incredibly and reduce battery drain. But if that's not an option, you're good to go....
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Asus Storage