Oem for the new hard drive or no?

dommyd2009

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Ok so i have Asus U56e laptop where the hard drive is dying. I get messages to replace it and sometime i can hear it clicking. So being aware of that, Everyone would say backup the files or hope you did already? The only files i need is the operating sytem which in windows 7 64-bit. Everything is is junk and i got rid of it anyhow.

So which bring me to my main question:

Since i do not have the recovery disc from asus, and i cannot create the image using the backup since the harddrive keeps failing, could i use a oem windows 7 brand new i have sitting in my house unopened on the new hardrive i wanna buy?

I went the the asus website and they charge 50 bucks for the recovery disk, but why pay it if i can use a new os i have already . Any help would be greatly appreciated ty

-John

dommyd2009

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yes indeed it is the exact same Versions. They are both winodws 7 64 bit sp1 home. Just bought the new hard drive, gonna try to install it tonight. Anything else i might need to do?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Only thing I would suggest, if you have the money, is trade the new hard drive in on an SSD at least 120gb and use it instead of a hard drive. For laptops it will speed up load times incredibly and reduce battery drain. But if that's not an option, you're good to go....