Lost Wallpaper for Default User Profile

I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with. For
one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile to
the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a custom
wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.

The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are logging
on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They just
get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very familiar
with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
and the other half is black!

Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry setting
for the wallpaper?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about lost wallpaper default user profile

    "Wallpaper"
    found at
    HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Charlie" wrote:
    | I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
    | Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
    For
    | one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
    | the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
    custom
    | wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
    |
    | The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
    logging
    | on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
    just
    | get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
    | assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
    familiar
    | with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
    | setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
    | and the other half is black!
    |
    | Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
    setting
    | for the wallpaper?
    |
    | Thanks

    Wallpaper setting does not apply correctly when you create a custom default
    user profile ?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultwp.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
    > Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
    > For
    > one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
    > the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
    > custom
    > wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
    >
    > The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
    > logging
    > on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
    > just
    > get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
    > assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
    > familiar
    > with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
    > setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
    > and the other half is black!
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
    > setting
    > for the wallpaper?
    >
    > Thanks

    Ramesh -
    Right after I posted, I did a Google search on this problem and it brought
    me right to your link! I bookmarked it. Thanks much on both counts.
    Charlie

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Wallpaper setting does not apply correctly when you create a custom default
    > user profile ?:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultwp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
    > > Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
    > > For
    > > one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
    > > the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
    > > custom
    > > wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
    > >
    > > The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
    > > logging
    > > on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
    > > just
    > > get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
    > > assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
    > > familiar
    > > with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
    > > setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
    > > and the other half is black!
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
    > > setting
    > > for the wallpaper?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    You're very welcome Charlie.

    --

    > Ramesh -
    > Right after I posted, I did a Google search on this problem and it brought
    > me right to your link! I bookmarked it. Thanks much on both counts.
    > Charlie
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Wallpaper setting does not apply correctly when you create a custom
    >> default
    >> user profile ?:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultwp.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Configuration Default Wallpaper Windows XP