Lost Wallpaper for Default User Profile

August 22, 2005 11:31:03 PM

I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with. For
one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile to
the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a custom
wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.

The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are logging
on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They just
get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very familiar
with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
and the other half is black!

Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry setting
for the wallpaper?

Thanks
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:20:12 AM

"Wallpaper"
found at
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Charlie" wrote:
| I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
| Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
For
| one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
| the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
custom
| wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
|
| The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
logging
| on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
just
| get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
| assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
familiar
| with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
| setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
| and the other half is black!
|
| Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
setting
| for the wallpaper?
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:46:55 PM

Wallpaper setting does not apply correctly when you create a custom default
user profile ?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultwp.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
> Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
> For
> one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
> the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
> custom
> wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
>
> The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
> logging
> on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
> just
> get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
> assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
> familiar
> with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
> setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
> and the other half is black!
>
> Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
> setting
> for the wallpaper?
>
> Thanks
Related resources
August 23, 2005 12:46:56 PM

Ramesh -
Right after I posted, I did a Google search on this problem and it brought
me right to your link! I bookmarked it. Thanks much on both counts.
Charlie

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Wallpaper setting does not apply correctly when you create a custom default
> user profile ?:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultwp.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to configure a prototype machine for a computer image.
> > Unfortunately, I inherited a base image from someone else to start with.
> > For
> > one thing, I know that the person who created that image copied a profile
> > the Default User Profile which I don't like to do. They also added a
> > custom
> > wallpaper file, which I need to use, and it got added to Default User.
> >
> > The problem is that the wallpaper no longer shows for users who are
> > logging
> > on for the first time (ones who are getting the Default Profile). They
> > just
> > get a plain blue background (no wallpaper). I tried using Group Policy to
> > assign the custom wallpaper back to them, with no change. (I'm very
> > familiar
> > with the setting, so I know I chose the correct one.) I pointed the GP
> > setting to a different built-in Windows jpeg and it covers half the screen
> > and the other half is black!
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to "fix" this or least tell me the Registry
> > setting
> > for the wallpaper?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous