Reducing File Size of Digital Photo?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 7, 2005 4:42:21 AM

I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
XP Pro desktop?
Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
use to edit the file - make it smaller?

Thanks,

Mike
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:42:22 AM

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
>XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Your scanning software likely has options which allow you to control the
size of the file. Have a look.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:42:22 AM

Mike wrote:
> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
> XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Sure. Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It is free, and will
easily reduce your picture's file size. It is also a very nice picture
display program, with some light editing capabilities.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 7, 2005 4:42:22 AM

Mike wrote:
> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
> XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Download and install Irfanview
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
After you get it installed- Open the file, from the menu bar Image,
resize/resample, Standard dimension, check Desktop size, save as jpeg.
Of course there is an easier way. When you use the windows display
control panel simply select from the Picture Display menu- Stretch,
which shrinks in your case, automatically, but be patient.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:42:22 AM

Mike commented courteously ...

> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w
> 6"x11" photo. How can I reduce the size of the file so I
> can create a small file to use as my XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l
> something I can use to edit the file - make it smaller?

Some others gave you some good ideas on how to handle your
problem. If you decide to get more involved in creating pictures
for your XP desktop - called "wallpaper", get the XP Fun Pak
Power Toy Wallpaper Changer. It'll take pictures you put into
any folder and cycle through them on a variable time basis.

M$ being what they are, it's blinking hard to find this thing
without searching, but here's a link if the line wrap doesn't
kill it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
familyid=ce1d596b-6851-4948-ab76-b5ff22d37d69&displaylang=en

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

In article <1OlDd.17479$Y57.6666@trnddc08>, "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
> XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?

Any photo editor can reduce the size.
January 7, 2005 5:15:00 AM

In article <1OlDd.17479$Y57.6666@trnddc08>, wxyz09@yahoo.com says...

>I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
>XP Pro desktop?
>Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

There's a photo-editing program, called The Gimp, that has gotten high reviews
in many groups. As I understand, it is freeware, and though not as intuitive
as some might like, it does a lot of what I use Photoshop for. I don't have
the URL, but a Google search should yield one. I also have no experience with
this program, but have seen it touted by folk, who's opinion I rate as high.

Good luck,
Hunt
January 7, 2005 6:29:16 AM

Thanks, I d/l it just now.

Mike

> Mike wrote:
>> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>> my XP Pro desktop?
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Sure. Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It is free, and will
> easily reduce your picture's file size. It is also a very nice picture
> display program, with some light editing capabilities.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 7, 2005 6:30:08 AM

It does, my buddy scanned it at the highest color depth so as not to lose
any details.

Mike

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>>my XP Pro desktop?
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Your scanning software likely has options which allow you to control the
> size of the file. Have a look.

January 7, 2005 6:30:48 AM

I'll try it.

Thanks,

Mike

"Hunt" <noone@hunt.com> wrote in message
> In article <1OlDd.17479$Y57.6666@trnddc08>, wxyz09@yahoo.com says...
>>
>>I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>>my
>>XP Pro desktop?
>>Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>>use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike
>
> There's a photo-editing program, called The Gimp, that has gotten high
> reviews
> in many groups. As I understand, it is freeware, and though not as
> intuitive
> as some might like, it does a lot of what I use Photoshop for. I don't
> have
> the URL, but a Google search should yield one. I also have no experience
> with
> this program, but have seen it touted by folk, who's opinion I rate as
> high.
>
> Good luck,
> Hunt

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:32:02 AM

Mike wrote:
> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
> XP Pro desktop?
> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

You probably scanned the print at 600 dpi which is WAY too much for a
print that
will be used as a background for your desktop.
If you have your monitor set at 800 x 600pixels you can scan at 100 dpi
and get an 1100 x 600 pixel image. You realize that 11 x 6 is not the
correct aspect ratio (W:H) for a computer screen, (which is 8:6) so you
will get some cropping over which you have no control.
I would recommend cropping the print with a 6"x 8" mask and then scan at
100 dpi. If your monitor screen is something larger than 800 x 600, say
1600 x 1200, then leave the 6x8 mask on and scan at 200 dpi.
Bob Williams
January 7, 2005 6:32:04 AM

Thanks, I d/l it.

Mike

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
news:o umDd.237$xO6.30@fe12.lga...
> Mike wrote:
>> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>> my XP Pro desktop?
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Download and install Irfanview
> http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
> After you get it installed- Open the file, from the menu bar Image,
> resize/resample, Standard dimension, check Desktop size, save as jpeg.
> Of course there is an easier way. When you use the windows display control
> panel simply select from the Picture Display menu- Stretch, which shrinks
> in your case, automatically, but be patient.
January 7, 2005 6:51:08 AM

Sounds good. is the XP Fun Pack a d/l?
Where do I get it?

Mike

"All Things Mopar" <usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Mike commented courteously ...
>
>> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w
>> 6"x11" photo. How can I reduce the size of the file so I
>> can create a small file to use as my XP Pro desktop?
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l
>> something I can use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> Some others gave you some good ideas on how to handle your
> problem. If you decide to get more involved in creating pictures
> for your XP desktop - called "wallpaper", get the XP Fun Pak
> Power Toy Wallpaper Changer. It'll take pictures you put into
> any folder and cycle through them on a variable time basis.
>
> M$ being what they are, it's blinking hard to find this thing
> without searching, but here's a link if the line wrap doesn't
> kill it:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> familyid=ce1d596b-6851-4948-ab76-b5ff22d37d69&displaylang=en
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry
January 7, 2005 6:52:11 AM

I don't have the 60mb file with me right now, so I tried the resize option
on a test .jpg and it worked as you described.

Thanks again,

Mike

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
news:o umDd.237$xO6.30@fe12.lga...
> Mike wrote:
>> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>> my XP Pro desktop?
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Download and install Irfanview
> http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
> After you get it installed- Open the file, from the menu bar Image,
> resize/resample, Standard dimension, check Desktop size, save as jpeg.
> Of course there is an easier way. When you use the windows display control
> panel simply select from the Picture Display menu- Stretch, which shrinks
> in your case, automatically, but be patient.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:21:12 AM

>From: "Mike" wxyz09@yahoo.com

>How
>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
>XP Pro desktop?

You don't have to reduce it. When you choose the "Stretch" wallpaper setting,
XP will fill the desktop with the photo, whether the photo is bigger or smaller
than the desktop. Of course, if you want a border around the pic, or if the
photo isn't the same dimensions as your screen, then you'll need a photo
editing program.
Or send it to me and I'll do it.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:56:58 AM

Mike commented courteously ...

> Sounds good. is the XP Fun Pack a d/l?
> Where do I get it?

Directly from the link in my previous post. Here it is
again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
familyid=ce1d596b-6851-4948-ab76-b5ff22d37d69
&displaylang=en

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:13:06 AM

Mike wrote:
> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as my
> XP Pro desktop?

If you load the pic into Internet Explorer, you can right-click it and
select "Set as Background" - Windows will automatically scale it to fit
the desktop (it may also stretch it if the aspect ratio is different).
It doesn't necessarily need to be smaller (either in dimensions or file
size) to work as a wallpaper in XP.

> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
> use to edit the file - make it smaller?

www.irfanview.com - it's small, fast, and free, and will do all your
basic cropping, rotation, resizing, basic color correction and effects,
and save-as or convert to almost any format imaginable. It also has a
"set as wallpaper" function to apply the current file you're working on
as your desktop.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:06:58 PM

Hi,

The free and one of the best photo viewers/reducers is Irfanview. Download it
from www.Irfanview.com
Rosita
January 7, 2005 6:12:43 PM

Mike wrote:
> It does, my buddy scanned it at the highest color depth so as not to lose
> any details.

Your buddy practiced overkill. There are limits of resolution and color depth in a photographic paper print. (A negative has
better resolution and color depth.) Scanning at about 250 ppi and 8 bits per color will capture all the information in the
photo.

> Mike
>
> "Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>>>can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>>>my XP Pro desktop?
>>>Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>>>use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>

>>Your scanning software likely has options which allow you to control the
>>size of the file. Have a look.

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:55:58 PM

All Things Mopar wrote:
> Mike commented courteously ...
>

>>Sounds good. is the XP Fun Pack a d/l?
>>Where do I get it?
>

> Directly from the link in my previous post. Here it is
> again.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> familyid=ce1d596b-6851-4948-ab76-b5ff22d37d69
> &displaylang=en

Or try this: http://tinyurl.com/6fogk
January 8, 2005 4:46:22 AM

That makes sense to me, especially with my balck and white photograph.

Mike

"Marvin" <physchemNOSPAM@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>> It does, my buddy scanned it at the highest color depth so as not to lose
>> any details.
>
> Your buddy practiced overkill. There are limits of resolution and color
> depth in a photographic paper print. (A negative has better resolution
> and color depth.) Scanning at about 250 ppi and 8 bits per color will
> capture all the information in the photo.

January 8, 2005 4:48:27 AM

This one works.

Mike

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> All Things Mopar wrote:
>> Mike commented courteously ...
>>

>>>Sounds good. is the XP Fun Pack a d/l?
>>>Where do I get it?
>>

>> Directly from the link in my previous post. Here it is again.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
>> familyid=ce1d596b-6851-4948-ab76-b5ff22d37d69
>> &displaylang=en
>
> Or try this: http://tinyurl.com/6fogk
January 8, 2005 4:49:04 AM

I got irfanview last night.

Thanks,

Mike

"HRosita" <hrosita@aol.comnet> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The free and one of the best photo viewers/reducers is Irfanview. Download
> it
> from www.Irfanview.com
> Rosita

January 8, 2005 4:54:07 AM

IE set as desktop distorted the .jp no matter what I did.
Irfanview worked great.

> Mike wrote:
>> I have 60MB file that was generated by scanning a b/w 6"x11" photo. How
>> can I reduce the size of the file so I can create a small file to use as
>> my XP Pro desktop?
>
> If you load the pic into Internet Explorer, you can right-click it and
> select "Set as Background" - Windows will automatically scale it to fit
> the desktop (it may also stretch it if the aspect ratio is different). It
> doesn't necessarily need to be smaller (either in dimensions or file size)
> to work as a wallpaper in XP.
>
>> Also, I don't have any photo editing software. Can I d/l something I can
>> use to edit the file - make it smaller?
>
> www.irfanview.com - it's small, fast, and free, and will do all your basic
> cropping, rotation, resizing, basic color correction and effects, and
> save-as or convert to almost any format imaginable. It also has a "set as
> wallpaper" function to apply the current file you're working on as your
> desktop.
January 8, 2005 4:55:02 AM

Thanks for the scanning tips.
I used irfanview to resize the photo and all is well.

Mike

!