Your question

How to apply Thermal Paste/Compound

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
  • Video
Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:39:46 AM

Hey, my package arrived at the post office today and i have to pick it up, its a CPU/processor that i will be installing in my computer. now i've seen a few videos on youtube on how to apply thermal paste know most of the videos it said a pea sized blob and then spread it all around the CPU. but one video said just put a line/a grain of rice of thermal paste and not to spread it around. so i'm confused which one is smarter and better to use?

More about : apply thermal paste compound

December 31, 2010 1:46:28 AM

Hello,

The second method you mentionned (a line in the middle) is the method Artic Silver recommends for its Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. A "blob" in the middle is the accepted method for applying it. You can find a very good application method here : http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstruction...
It's very simple.

Good luck,
al360ex
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:46:46 AM

What is the brand/product detail of the thermal interface material?

What is the brand and model of the heatsink/cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:46:59 AM

What cpu and what cooler are you using? There are different methods depending on what you have. Stock heatsinks have TIM pre applied and really don't require paste unless your going to clean it and use after market TIM.
m
l
December 31, 2010 2:07:14 AM

I use Tuniq TX-2. Which is pretty great stuff, its ceramic based so if you get it all over your motherboard it wont short anything. All I did was place a small X on the CPU and let the cooler push it out. On my graphics card i put a small dot on the die. Both lowered my temps by like 10 degrees
m
l
!