Sign in with
Your question
Solved

T3642 CPU upgrade and Foxconn WinFast MCP61VM2MA-RS2H

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:59:54 AM

Hey guys today I bought a AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor that a friend recommended for my computer. (link to details)http://www.compusa.com/applications/...82332&csid=_23

I proceeded to install it properly and tried booting up my system but the computer turned on with fans running but no power light and just stays running with no boot up. I have a hooked up emachines T3642
Current specs
(Upgraded to 500w PSU as well)
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name (anonymous)
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model MCP61SM2MA
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+, 2600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 11/10/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory CWindows
System Directory CWindows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.12 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.48 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.38 GB
Page File Space 3.42 GB
Page File Cpagefile.sys

Now I know that my motherboard is a AM2 and the new processor is AM2+ but I've read and heard that its backward compatible without the HT 3.0 and other features. But could this still be the problem?

Another problem I've heard about is that the BIOS can't handle it and I need to do an update on it? Would this be it?

Or could I have just bought a bad proccesor or wrong processor for my motherboard? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
December 31, 2010 12:42:08 PM

You need a newer motherboard to run the 9850. I managed to find the "cpu support" section for your board and it doesn't support any quads. The limit of tested cpus is 89 watts with dual core. Since you have a gateway motherboard, your windows operating system is tied to your original board. Don't know if a newer board will work with your original installation of windows.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:15:02 PM

o1die said:
You need a newer motherboard to run the 9850. I managed to find the "cpu support" section for your board and it doesn't support any quads. The limit of tested cpus is 89 watts with dual core. Since you have a gateway motherboard, your windows operating system is tied to your original board. Don't know if a newer board will work with your original installation of windows.

Yes, a newer motherboard can work with the original installation of Windows (possibly not having to reactivate at all as long as there are not too many certain hardware changes with XP,Vista and 7) as long as the chipset is the same,the IGP (or discrete graphics card if no IGP is present on the motherboard) is the same, and the network chip is exactly the same.
Those are Windows activation requirements.
The socket type doesn't matter at all.Myself I have upgraded from a socket 939 board to a socket AM2+ replacement board and I've seen a AM3 motherboard that could replace a certain socket 939 motherboard (with a different and more advanced CPU type of course).

However the type of motherboards using that chipset are generally limited to 89 or 95 watt TDP CPU's so it would be unlikely to find an alternative replacement motherboard with that particular high TDP CPU (the 9850 BE).
Again though a possibility does exist to find a alternative motherboard with the same chipset,IGP (or discrete) and network chip with a AM3 CPU under 95 watts TDP.

But the OP is stuck with the 9850 BE CPU unless he sells it or builds another system with it.He could of course get a different AM2+ motherboard and use that but would have to get another copy of Windows for it in addition and lose everything on his hard drive (which could be painful if one had DRM type software licensed only for that original PC).
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:31:00 AM

Best answer selected by Computeruser25.
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:31:57 AM

Thanks for the info guys, ended up buying a new motherboard with diffrent chipset and still have the windows some how :/  ? anyways thanks for the advice
m
l
!