Realtek/ASUS Sabertooth P67 Dolby Surround Sound Help

Frontspac

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
So I recently completely rebuilt my computer, and I've got most everything back to the way I had it set up sans one thing: Surround Sound.

Lets start with my old computer. I had a Gigabyte UD4P (I think) motherboard with Realtek HD audio. On that computer I was using a Turtle Beach Earforce DSS receiver with SPDIF.

With that set-up, I could open the Realtek HD Audio manager and under the Digital Output>>Default Format tab there was a great big button that said "Dolby Digital Live 5.1". I could select this button and get surround sound on pretty much everything. (Well emulated surround sound on stereo headphones but that's an entirely different thing).

Well my new computer set-up includes an ASUS Sabertooth P67 mobo which also has Realtek sound, specifically ALC892, which according to the Realtek site supports 7.1 Dolby Digital output.

(Bear in mind I'm using the same Earforce DSS receiver and SPDIF cable, on a newer more expensive board with newer Realtek codec and the latest drivers installed.)

However, despite constant adjustments and playing around, I can't get a Dolby Digital option to appear in the Realtek audio manager. I've tested the Dolby functionality in Windows and it works, but I can't get surround sound to work in anything else.

I've looked everywhere for a solution and I can't find one. I've read many threads on this site before and found the answers I needed, so I was hoping someone could help.

(Also my apologies if this post is kind of rambly, it's late and I'm tired and can't seem to put my thoughts in order.)

EDIT: I'd just like to say thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read and/or respond to this.

Frogger_NOR

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

On Realtec's page it states "optional Dolby® Digital Live". I guess this means it have to be enabled in software.
I also have the ASUS Sabertooth P67 MB and have not yet found a way to enable DDL.
It is probably not enabled due to the licensing cost to Dolby Laboratories, ref. wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

Maybe it can be enabled with a modified audio driver, if one exist on the web.