Sign in with
Your question

Can i reuse my OS that i bought or do i have to get a new one?

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2013 12:43:28 PM

I upgraded from windows vista 6 months ago and i bought a family pak of 3x of windows 7 home premium. I used all 3 copies that came with it on my different computers. i want to build a new puter from ground up and install an ssd and use my old HDD to. Will i be able to use the windows 7 disk again even though i used all 3 installs? Would i be able to activate it on the new build ordo i have to buy another copy of Windows 7... Seems stupid that i cant keep using it over again and not have to but a new OS of windows 7...Thanks

More about : reuse bought

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 1:11:16 PM

dab18351 said:
I upgraded from windows vista 6 months ago and i bought a family pak of 3x of windows 7 home premium. I used all 3 copies that came with it on my different computers. i want to build a new puter from ground up and install an ssd and use my old HDD to. Will i be able to use the windows 7 disk again even though i used all 3 installs? Would i be able to activate it on the new build ordo i have to buy another copy of Windows 7... Seems stupid that i cant keep using it over again and not have to but a new OS of windows 7...Thanks

OFC you cant use it on a fourth comp.. you bought a 3 pack.. and so you can install an 3 computers.
You can ofc use tha ctual disk.. but you will need a new windows key. Using the same key code you used on the prev 3 would (probaby) not work and would certainly be illegal.

you may be able to use the old Win vista licence.. but if it OEM license... you prob cant even do that (legally).

HTH
Cheers
January 12, 2013 8:13:08 PM

Ok...I had a copy of XP a few years ago and used it many times as i had to call toindows and have different keys put in but it wred o i just thought i would ask...
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 9:45:20 PM

your English/typing not great...

but if I understand you correctly.. you can REINSTALL windows many times.. thats not an issue, as you have bought a licence.. and can use it on your computer as many times as you need... You may need to call Microsoft if you do lots of reinstalls.. but its still one licence for one machine.. so its no problem.

Thats different to what you were asking.. where you have bought 3 licences.. so can use it on 3 machines... but you cant install on a 4th machine.. thats more than you have paid for. If one of those 3 machines corrupts windows, you can reinstall windows on that machine and reuse your key.. no problem.

Its not a difficult concept really... you paid for 3 licences.. so are licenced to use on 3 machines.... it should not come as a surprise that you cant install on more machines than you paid for. And if one of those machines "breaks".. you can reinstall/fix it without having to pay again.

After all - why do you think Microsoft sell 3 packs if its ok for people to just buy one copy and install it as many times as they like?

Cheers
January 12, 2013 11:06:42 PM

It was on different machines but thats not the issue..So if i have a bad HDD and need to get another..i can still instal with this lisence on my same machine or if i upgrade my motherboard i can still use the same license? Thats what i am trying to say!
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 11:24:32 PM

Lordy me.. that was not AT ALL clear from your original post...

If you have a machine.. with a legitimate copy of windows on it.. and the HDD fails or you need change you Motherboard...than thats fine.. you can reuse the original windows key.. that counts as a reinstall.

One Caveat... if your license is an OEM license.... then it is only valid for a reinstall on the "same machine"... and Microsoft considers if you change the motherboard.. it is no longer the same machine. This means the install may not work and require you to ring microsoft. In theory they could reject it and say it not same machine so you need buy a new license.. but I understand they are generally quite reasonable if it is the same machine and you just changing Mobo's... but probably best that if you have to make that call... say that the original mobo failed and this is a replacement.

If you have change the Mobo/HDD/RAM/GPU etc all at the same time... you may be on thin ice.

Hope that clarifies
Cheers
!