Looking to upgrade my GPU

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hello, I love computer gaming but I am pretty terrible when it comes to knowledge of computers. I am looking to upgrade my current machine.

Right now I have an XPS 420, the specs are:

Q6600
4 GB RAM
8800GT

I was told that my processor is fine because it is a quad core, all I need to upgrade right now is my graphics card and then my RAM after that in the near future. I am focusing on the card right now, I am hoping to spend 200 or less, but I am looking for the best bang for buck. I was told that it is better to buy the top of the line from last year then the bottom of the line of this year. One person recommended me to get the GTX 460, which is a bit pricey at $240 on newegg. Another person recommended me the Radeon HD 5770 1GB which is much cheaper at $165. Which do you think is the better buy, and if you do not recommend either what would you recommend instead? My power supply is only 375W so I will also need to upgrade that as well, so a recommendation for a new power supply would be appreciated as well. Again I am very bad when it comes to this stuff so please have patience with me. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help.

Solution
This 5770 is a great deal if you don't plan to Overclock at all. It has a nice MIR and free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=5770_1gb-_-14-102-873-_-Product
For a couple bucks more you can get the vaporX cooler model which would be better if you plan to Overclock a bit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898&cm_re=5770_1gb-_-14-102-898-_-Product

If you want to go for a GTX460, which would be an AWESOME upgrade for you, I would scoop up this deal. I know you didn't want to go over $200, but sometimes you just have to recognize the deal in front of you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470415
Basically with the combo savings and...
If you used it to run a 8800GT, the 5770 1GB cards consume roughly the same amount of power or slightly less than that card. You could technically keep your PSU if you went with that. If you went with the GTX 460 I would recommend changing your PSU. the 1GB would optimal, but like you said it about $230. The 768MB card is about $200, but has less ROPs and obviously less memory.

This 5770 is a great deal if you don't plan to Overclock at all. It has a nice MIR and free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=5770_1gb-_-14-102-873-_-Product
For a couple bucks more you can get the vaporX cooler model which would be better if you plan to Overclock a bit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898&cm_re=5770_1gb-_-14-102-898-_-Product

If you want to go for a GTX460, which would be an AWESOME upgrade for you, I would scoop up this deal. I know you didn't want to go over $200, but sometimes you just have to recognize the deal in front of you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.470415
Basically with the combo savings and MIR the PSU is only $20. AWESOME! and OCZ makes some nice units. They are on my recommend list. Plus the GTX460 is the gigabyte upgraded cooler and overclocked version. NICER YET!. I think this deal is killer.

The only thing I would check is the PSU to make sure it doesn't have any weird connectors. I know some of those XPS PSU's have an extra connector that standard ones do that. Just look at the pictures on newegg and compare.

Solution

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Thank you for your replies, that deal looks very tempting. I have some more questions before I decide. How much better is the GTX 460 compared to the 5770? A comparison between the two would be great if you don't mind. Also how do I know if the power supply the GTX is bundled with is compatible with my motherboard? I don't even know what brand my mobo is, I bought this computer from Dell 3 years ago and I have no idea how to find out. Finally, if I buy the 460 will my computer overheat? I don't have any special cooling devices, just whatever the computer came with. I am not looking to spend money on any coolers right now either. Sorry for the newby questions this will be the first time I've ever upgraded my PC so I have a lot to learn still.

Edit: Another question, I just registered at this website and it keeps telling me to check my e-mail to confirm, but I have not been sent an e-mail. I joined yesterday and it is the right e-mail.

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply, how do I know if the PSU that is bundled with the GTX460 in the link jay provided me is compatible with both the GTX and my machine? The only thing I know about my current PSU is that it is 375 Watts. Thanks for that comparison by the way that website is very cool. Also, how much longer can I expect my Q6600 hundred to last me for gaming? I don't know if I should spend too much on a card if my CPU will become obsolete in a year. A friend told me it should be fine for quite some time but I would like a second opinion just to be safe. Sorry for so many questions, I just have to be absolutely sure when I do buy for my machine.

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
How do you know the PSU will be compatible with my system? A friend told me I have to check to see if it is compatible with my mobo and when I told him I don't know what type of mobo I have he just laughed at me...heh. I was also told it can ruin my machine if it isn't the right one which is why I am a little nervous.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
PSUs are compatible with every computer, i think what your friend meant is that you must get a psu that is a good brand, as there are dodgy psus, if you bought a dodgy psu and it blows it can take the rest of your pc down with it.

you should get that combo jay2tall suggested

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Okay I have decided I want the GTX 460, it definitely seems worth the extra price considering it comes with the PSU as well. Now my final question is will this all fit in my case?

1. I currently have an 8800GT, will the GTX 460 be able to fit in its place?

2. Will the PSU fit in my case? I was told I have to be very careful since some PSUs have the cables in different spots so it may not fit. I have an XPS 420 if that helps. Once I know this all fits I am placing my order I can't wait for the new card!!!

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

my nephew has similar PC like you do, I have tried ATI 5800 series when 460 wasn't released but that ati 58xx card can't compatible with its motherboard by its stupid PCIE-2.1 interface. 460 definitely is the way to go if you don't want to worry motherboard compatible issue. go local shop buy PSU in case they wont fit. I bought a modulator PSU but it is expensive.

Read this thread from the Dell forums and it will put your mind at ease. The OP of this thread ugpgraded the PSU and card of his XPS 420. He mentions that the stock PSU is a little taller than the standard PSU's but the screw holes match up fine, you will just have a little space in back. He also recommended a modular PSU because of space for extra cables, which the OCZ Unit is.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/p/19265921/19455492.aspx

I personally replace my mobo,cpu, mem every 3 years. However, that is just me and I usually buy the value high end. Like I bought an i7 920 Shortly after it came out and overclocked the poop out of this. That was over a year ago and I expect it to last at least 2 more year. The way things are going it might be longer. However a Q6600 is still a quad core and should last you a little while longer. I would suggest keeping your stock PSU and 8800GT and put in a box. If you want to sell your system, you will want to put it back to stock. You can always reuse that PSU in another system as well as the video card. My last power supply saw 3 separate builds and the only reason I sold it was I needed a higher wattage unit. A good PSU, which that OCZ is, will last you for years and years.

May I suggest next time you need a PC replacement you try your hand at building it yourself? You will learn ALOT and this site is very helpful. There are also alot of how to sites out there to help. I build my first PC about 16 years ago and thing are FAR FAR easier today than they were back then. The hardest thing now is to make sure all your components are compatible. Plus building your own pc will save your money.

gordon_81

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

agree 100%

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Okay I am going to play my order now. I want to thank all of you again for your help. You guys were very patient and answered all my questions. @jay2tall, when this computer needs replacing I will be building my own PC. I've always wanted to learn how. I will definitely come to this forum to get advice, I am going to need it.

The only question I have now is how do I get my confirmation e-mail so I can become a permanent member? It wasn't given to me when I signed up, and at the log in screen I have requested a new confirmation e-mail and I still have not gotten it.