Dec 11, 2010
My system,
amd 955 oc 3.7 gigs

4 gigs of gskill 1600 drr3

xfx gtx 260 oc black

2 wd black 640 gig raid-0

antec tp-750 blue

asus crosshair formula 890fx chip

This system is only for gaming i have a work pc and road lappy. First thing im upgrading to the evga gtx 580 sc when they get back in stock. But now im wondering Is it upgrade time for the cpu. The 2 chips im thinking about is the i7-870 or 1100T amd x6 Witch one would be the better upgrade? Another thing i have been thinking about is going intel for sli. I tried the new ati 6970 out and hated it return it in 8 hours of haven it. I have always had nvidia and 3dfx not going to the red side again. I have been thinking about the new crosshair extreme but it hasn't got any great review like the formula. If i got Intel i will have to run sli at 16 8 since nothing but 1366 and 890fx run 16 16 card slots other than lucid. Is running 16 8 worth running with 2 580's? I was thinking sandy bridge or bulldozer but i haven read anything that makes me really want them. they sound like low on cpu with gpu's on them. Whats the best way to go sli with out breaking the bank? thanks for any help i can get.

The games i play at sc2, wow, c&c4 need for speed.

Also on a gaming setup Will 8 gigs of ram help at all or is 4 gigs enough?

socratesx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Why don't you wait for Sandy Bridge? You will check also the reviews and benchmarks and decide then what is best for you. Apart from that prices are likely to fall with the release of new processor models. I also make patience as I search for upgrading my system.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Because once you put a discrete card on the motherboard the integrated graphics will be disabled.
There are 3 chipset types of Socket LGA 1155.The high end model the P67 chipset version allows both crossfire and SLI graphics cards.The other 2 only allow 1 discrete card.

See below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Here are some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvg9Qs5cufY

Embra

Distinguished
Unless you really dont want to wait, I would wait. There is a lot of new stuff coming out soon. It seems that money may not be as big an issue with you, All the more reason to wait and see all your options.

smokeymicpot42

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I will wait i got no problem with that. I just dont want to hold back my gtx 580. I do alot of benchmarking and love to oc like crazy. If sandy bridge turns out to be sweet i will get it. I was going core i7 920 but asus had to release crosshair formula and i had to have it so i sold all my core i7 parts. If i go with a board that runs 16 8 on the sli mode is it that much less out put than 16 16? I have only found one board on the new 1155 that dose 16 16 video. Is 4 gigs enough for maxx gaming setting's or should i go 8 gig i have no problem going 8 im buying new ram no matter what i want 1866 mhz i have 1600 and want faster. IM going ot be getting corsair domantor gt line.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If I was you I would have gone i5 already.

However what you need to do is decide when you can't wait any longer, and upgrade then. Everybody has to decide how long they can stand to use their current PC, and upgrade when they can't wait any longer. There will always be new stuff coming out just around the corner. I5's and i7's have been around for awhile and prices have come down a bit. If you choose to upgrade exactly at the time that a new socket hits the market, you will pay extra for it. If you wait awhile then you will save money but you will be that much closer to the point where it is obsolete. I say buy what you need, when you need it, and enjoy it while you can.