Lost my sound

XP Home on Toshiba a70 Satellite laptop.

I lost the sound on my Toshiba. I think it happened after I installed MS
Office sounds.exe. All the drivers are there, volumes are up, devices
enabled etc. The only thing is when I go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
Devices/Volume Tab, the volume fader is down and greyed out - I can't change
anything on this screen.

I uninstalled the sounds.exe and tried reinstalling the audio drivers
without effect. Other ideas anyone? TIA.
1 answer Last reply
More about lost sound

    I have to open Volume Control in the task tray and hit mute twice for
    some reason. Everything plays fine until a reboot. WinXP Home. Don't
    know the fix, but this gets me going.

    whatever wrote:
    > XP Home on Toshiba a70 Satellite laptop.
    >
    > I lost the sound on my Toshiba. I think it happened after I installed MS
    > Office sounds.exe. All the drivers are there, volumes are up, devices
    > enabled etc. The only thing is when I go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
    > Devices/Volume Tab, the volume fader is down and greyed out - I can't change
    > anything on this screen.
    >
    > I uninstalled the sounds.exe and tried reinstalling the audio drivers
    > without effect. Other ideas anyone? TIA.

Configuration Windows XP