Brand new build not turning on after minor change.

halchka1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello there. I don't know anywhere to go I'm stumped. Please excuse me if I posted my question in the wrong place.

Here we go:

AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition
Biostar AMD A780L Motherboard
Eagle ET-PSVTX500-BK 500Watt ATX12 Power Supply.
Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU LED CPU Cooler
Diablotek Radeon HD 4650
Lite-On Internal Blu-Ray Disc Combo Drive
All-In-One Media Reader
Gigabyte GZPH1A30 ATX Mid-Tower Case
(2) Apevia 80mm UV Blue fans

So I put everything together correctly (but no hard drive yet). I powered it up just to see if everything was up and running and it was EXCEPT for one of the LED's for the power buttons on the case or the reset button i forgot which one. So I took out the case power connectors from the motherboard to see which plug I had misplaced. I corrected the misplacement and tried to power up but nothing turned on anymore. When the power supply switch is ON and connected, 1 blue LED light comes on from the power button on the case and nothing happens when it is pressed. What did I mess up here?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated thank you very much.

Solution
Usually, there are only 2 lights on a case. 1 for the power, and one for Hard drive activity. If everything came on and the power light was lit, you were probably alright. Since there was no hard drive, the other light probably wouldn't have lit up anyway. There is no light for the reset switch. The power and reset switch connectors can go on any ol way and it doesn't matter. The connectors for the lights have to be put on a certain way. I would guess that you put the power switch connector on the wrong 2 pins.
You can also turn on your computer by using a screw drver (or something metal) and carefully touching the correct 2 pins directly on the motherboard. That way you will know if you have the right ones.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Those pesky 'power' and 'reset' buttons always get to me, too. Sometimes the way the connections are labeled on the motherboard incorrectly, but more than likely you're missing something. Go fishing for the correct connector. Those wires aren't going to kill your computer if you put them on the wrong pin in that area.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Usually, there are only 2 lights on a case. 1 for the power, and one for Hard drive activity. If everything came on and the power light was lit, you were probably alright. Since there was no hard drive, the other light probably wouldn't have lit up anyway. There is no light for the reset switch. The power and reset switch connectors can go on any ol way and it doesn't matter. The connectors for the lights have to be put on a certain way. I would guess that you put the power switch connector on the wrong 2 pins.
You can also turn on your computer by using a screw drver (or something metal) and carefully touching the correct 2 pins directly on the motherboard. That way you will know if you have the right ones.

Solution
plug everything out for a couple of minutes then try again. normally if you made a wrong connection the psu protection kicks in switching a part of the circuit off

Yah, unplug and drain it by pushing your power button a few times, if it was working before it should work again, you can't blow it up with those connecters. :D

halchka1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Thank you for all the responses. I'm relieved I didn't ruin the PSU or Mobo. The motherboard pins and case pins are kind of tricky. i messed around with it all night and couldn't get it right.

I'm gonna try to show the layout with periods being the pins and the description after them.

..(sleep) ...(power LED + + -) ..(on/off)
....(speaker) ..(HDD LED + -) ..(reset)

now the cases plugs consist of: Power SW, HDD LED, Reset SW, Power LED +, Power LED -, and Speaker.

the power LED for the power switch turns on when i plug in the Power LED+/- into the on/off pins. and i moved around everything else so many times I think I tried almost every possible combination. The HDD LED, Reset SW, and Speaker are self explanatory. I think I'm doing something wrong with the Power SW. When it turned on last night before it stopped working, I remember the Power SW being on the sleep pins. Anyway I went mad and took everything apart last night to redo. Does the text on the cases plugs have to face downward or upward when they are connected to the mobo's pins? I will post and update soon.

mobolabel.jpg

In general, the connectors should be connected to the motherboard such that the label side is facing the front of the case (in the above and below pictures, the bottom of the case is to the left, and the front of the case is towards the bottom of the picture).

caseconnectors2.jpg

halchka1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
PROBLEM SOLVED. Misplacement of plug/pins on motherboard because sometimes im just blind or dumb late @ night. Thanks to everyone for the help/comments/suggestions and also for your time.